Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped today while taking my boys to a basketball game and asked about a 1979 supercab LWB 2WD a fella had sitting under tree in his yard. the windows are molded over and it has its share of bumps and dings. The bed has holes in it, but the cab appears to be in great shape. He bought the truck new and just bought another f150. He's telling me since it was the supercab, it was on an f250 chasis. He said the springs front and back are heavy. He is selling the truck at scrap price so I told him i would come get it wednesday. All the glass was good. I didn't look at the interior as it was locked and i was pressed to get to the game. Here's the deal. I've got a 69 Four Door that is on a f350 dually chasis that is 4 hours away. It is going to need a donar truck for front cap and a donor for chasis as i do not want a dually. I'm thinking of putting the 6BT and auto with OD from the dodge i have in it. It currently has a 300 with 4 speed on floor. Can i spring it heavy enough in the front to make the 6bt work????

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Body lift

I have gotten feedback (pm's) from a few folks that feel the f150 (in 79 it was built heavier than the f100's- though i'm not sure it is quite a f250) will support the 12V cummins. I will strengthen the frame where it is mounted with the cautions of over welding, rigidity, and drainage. I also will add some sound deadening heat shield to the firewall, floor, hood, under dash, doors, and ceiling. I have seen a couple of different manufacturers on this sight and think the EZ Cool would be good (any feedback appreciated). Now to the body lift, I'm thinking it will be necessary to put a body lift on the truck to have clearance for the 6bt? I have found 2 and 3" kits that are pretty reasonable. But if it is not necessary i will avoid doing that step.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The 78-79 F150 was not the same frame as a F250 of that vintage. I have owned 78 or 79 Broncos, a F150, a F250, and two F350's. The Bronco and F150 had the same frame essentially as far as bends, steering, suspension etc. The F250/F350 were leaf spring front suspensions and had very different steering, so the frames were not the same. But having said that I have seen some really odd things come out of the Ford factories over the years. I have learned over time that there are no hard/fast rules when it comes to Ford mixing and matching parts.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've gotten the truck home and evaluated it's ability to handle the 6bt. I fell that it could be done, but would not be worth doing. I've committed my 4bt to a 91 f150 xlt for my sons and i to use as needed. I will not put the 6bt in the 79 and i plan to sell it. I'm not in it for too much so it shouldn't be a problem. I have located another 69 crew cab i hope to pick up friday. I need a car hauler, but will have to use a good neck. It is an F350 and will get the 6bt and dodge tranny, brakes, and maybe even power steering.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My f250 2wd supercab doesn't have leif on the front 73 to 79 250and 350 were the same frames on the supercab,stearing boxs are the same from the f100 to the 350s2wd.you can put the 350front coils on the truck and will hold the 5.9 just fine.i haven't had any problems with mine and i have had a Perkins in mine since 1991with aRTO6610sp the spring are still the same hight.I put duelly wheels on it.My dad bout the truck in 1975 with a 460 it is a trailerspecial.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/TOTM/jul08.htm

Dale

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2wpuller

thanks dale,

It is a f100 and i think i have it sold to someone local. It will make a really good DD for them. I have scored a 69 crew cab F350 that i plan to put the 5.9 into. I see that you have the 72 with 3.08's how does that do for a DD/ light towing (boat-camper). I have the dodge 518 with OD that i will leave mated to the cummins. As far a steering goes, i plan to explore using the steering sector from the dodge on the ford if it all works out like i plan. I really want to go 4x4 with it, but i'm uncertain as to what i need to make it happen. I'll have to confirm the gears in the 69 rear end, acquire a divorced 205 transfer case and a front end that has the same ration as the rear. No big rush, but i'd like to be on it soon. i'll check out your thread.

Brad

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just use the 72 for going towork and playing with kid with their fast cars.One of my freind had a 90 dodge with 308 in it he towed a 5th wheel camper did just fine and got good fuelmpg my 72 gets 30.1 with the nv4500 with 29" tall tires.I do prefere to drive my ford much more nicer and more room.It should get the same mpg when I get the allison in with the double OD.the rto just didn't have a tall enough OD was only getting 25.4 that is good also but i always want more.

Dale

1 - 7 of 7 Posts