Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running a ranger with 3-53 as a tow rig for the organic feed business that the gf and I have I have been through three rears in the last 60k or so miles . granted, they are you pull it exployer ones with disc brakes 3-73 ratio and have 160k or so miles on them when I get them. this last one started humming about 10k miles ago and I said I will check it next oil change . Holly snot It is so loose inside I wander how it was working > I am only towing 5k with it the rig weighs 9600 with 3k of feed on the trailer and 15 gallons of xtra fuel is towing that hard on it ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the first one I broke being stupid ,the last two it looks like the carrier brgs got loose and the pin that the spiders are on .It also had a little play on the axle splines . It started to sing.loud enough that I could hear it over the engine . The last one didn't make any noise but the speedometer started acting up and the pickup in the rear was covered in fuzz , so this last one now, is just singing but the spedo is still ok. I picked up another one from the p&pull, and going to install it monday I'll get some pictures when I change it out. It's funny as I pulled the same weight with the 4.0 and never had any trouble . can't think that 77 hp and 160 lb of tq could damage it had it on the dyno a couple of years ago

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
On some diesels it's not the power level but the firing order that can cause damage. That's one reason a Cummins 4bt can be so destructive to differentials. Not sure if a 3-53 shares any of the same traits or not.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 3-53 is a verry smooth running engine It is just as smooth as the gas engine The problem might be that the rear bearings and other parts have a 'set' life of 200k or so ? I have not freshened up any of the used ones that I installed and they already had 160 tho on them already but they are cheep at the P&P yard at 125$ each

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
greasfittn What state do you live in.
YOU MAY HAVE SAID IN UPPER POST . But I have an 8.8 in a 1983 FORD F100 I THINK .Might be an F150.
YOUR ALL BUT WELCOME too but I expect your too far away to need it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Cheap" is adding up. How much time have you put into this problem? Unless you have absolutely nothing better to do it's time to find something with a lot fewer miles on it.
I'm with greasfittn on "design life" -- that's why warranties aren't any longer than they are -- the manufacturer know when they're gonna go away big time and don't want to have any obligations when it does.

In the '60's-'70's we ran our John Deere tractors to 5000 hours (quarter-million mile equivilent) before trading up to bigger tractors; when we had to start using Case 4WD tractors he traded before they hit warranty end. Several didn't make it that far and dealer had to keep us running with a loaner or trade the sick tractor for a new one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same rear end in my 4.0 ranger , has almost 300k on it , the 8.8 is a good strong rear end and the only thing I can think of it is it’s getting hot and thinning out the oil , next time your better get some sae 140 than the normal sae 90 , also mine has a locking unit , the kind of take some stress off the spider gears , next best thing is a ford performance
rear differential alum cover , it’s got fins on the back to displace the heat and holds a extra quart ,

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Full Size Bronco that I bought had both carrier bearing caps stretched enough to allow the diff to walk back and forth, wiping out pretty much everything. I put two Mark Williams billet bearing caps in it and am still driving it after a rebuild. Not for long though, I've got a D60 FF ready to go in the truck.

Color me unimpressed with 8.8's.Failed it twice (evidence of a failure under the PO) with 4.56's, 35's and most importantly, a gas engine that only made 215 HP some 230k miles ago.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the same rear end in my 4.0 ranger , has almost 300k on it , the 8.8 is a good strong rear end and the only thing I can think of it is it’s getting hot and thinning out the oil , next time your better get some sae 140 than the normal sae 90 , also mine has a locking unit , the kind of take some stress off the spider gears , next best thing is a ford performance
rear differential alum cover , it’s got fins on the back to displace the heat and holds a extra quart ,
Looking at a different - differential cover - . Gail Banks Engineering has developed covers that change the way the oil flows , & so does a better job of lubricating & cooling + also have cooling fins that cause the air to make a better contact . They have video to show this .
On the gear lube, all lubes are not equal - Amsoil - goodoil4u dot com - check it out .
Also how close to the differential housing is the muffler system ?? It can also add substantial heat to axle .

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
On the 8.8 Ford axle, that has a GVWR of 6500 lbs. If you're running 9600 lbs you're only overloading it 50%. Built Ford Tough doesn't mean you can't break it. Heck, the 10.25 in my F250 is only rated to around 9000 lbs. The 8.8 wasn't meant to be a heavy duty hauling/towing axle. If so, they'd have put it in the F350. In a diesel application, a 4bt will probably beat one to death after a while.

·
Registered
316 Posts
On the 8.8 Ford axle, that has a GVWR of 6500 lbs. If you're running 9600 lbs you're only overloading it 50%. Built Ford Tough doesn't mean you can't break it. Heck, the 10.25 in my F250 is only rated to around 9000 lbs. The 8.8 wasn't meant to be a heavy duty hauling/towing axle. If so, they'd have put it in the F350. In a diesel application, a 4bt will probably beat one to death after a while.
Love it ! There you go Charles comes through again , never fails !

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi I am from pa I think that you are right about the 8.8 but the ford man said that the 4.0 ranger can tow 6500 lbs with the gvw of the truck 5k, plus 6500 is more than I am towing I am at 9500+ - but with the d 3-53 nv4500 it is 3-73 ratio I put in a temp guage in this one , welded in a bung in the cover and it does run 200 + on long trips I found that a exployer aluminum cover from a irs fits the rear and has fins on it and holds a little more lube thats going on it this weekend . I think it is going to need a cooler , or just re bearing it every 75k or so before it eats itself

1 - 19 of 19 Posts