Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i recently picked up an 82' chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 that has been converted to 1ton axles and suspension and swaped in 6bt with the original turbo 400 that was behind the 6.2. i have a doner 91' crew cab 4x4 1ton with 4spd and 205 transfer that i would like to swap into the 82 (it is a regular cab). with the 6bt being rotated for the automatic, would it need to be straightened for the sm465 4spd. also there doesnt seem to be adaptors out there for the sm465 (that i can find), does the bell housing bolt to the cummins 6bt with out one? thanks in advance.

Craig

·
Registered
500 Posts
You wouldn't need to rotate the engine if you've got the cummins SM465/Auto adapter already, that is tilted 10 degrees - all of the "chevy" setups for the cummins have the same bolt pattern, as do all chevrolet bellhousing patterns (same bolt pattern). You'd just need the manual flywheel & starter for the SM465.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If I am reading your post correctly then you have a 6BT already bolted to a chevy TH400, if that is so then you already have the engine to chevy gearbox adapter. What you wont have is the elusive cummins/chevy flywheel. Have a read of this excellent thread on coloradoK5 it will tell you all you need to know. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121702
Also CrewCab59 has alot of knowledge about this and will chime in next time he logs on . BTW I think you will not have enough clutch with a 6BT and a SM465. Read the thread and then come back and tell us what you think. Good luck.

Gaza

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks DarylB and 66gaza. the 82 chevy does already have the engine and transmission installed and running with the 10* tilt. the 6bt is not from a dodge and is the 160hp/396tq rating and non intercooled. i was thinking the sm465 and clutch would hold up ok. there doesnt seem to be a vacuum pump on the engine and the turbo400 tranny doesnt shift correctly (if you put it in drive it takes off in drive, instead of 1st). if I had the cummins/chevy manual flywheel, i should be able to swap transmissions. thanks again.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
What others have said ,you'll need the rest of the 465 parts .The manual trans will still be tilted as was the TH400 , the manual shifter will need to be heated and bent back to you bit (?) all depends on you.

Now the 465 clutch will be fine as long as the 6b is stock ,the ftlb comes in to low for the Stock GM clutches.The clutch wasn't made for the torque that the 6b can build.

Any more question just ask.

Scott

·
Registered
39 Posts
Um, where did the cummins come from? My IC says 160hp/400tq. The NON-IC's I think are the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts