Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 83 g20 that came with a 6.2, i want to put a 4bt in it. the van as it stands with a 327 in it weighs 7000 lbs and i want to be able to highway 20000 lbs gross vehicle/trailer any suggestions on installation and what tranny would be good and how much power i need and etc. would be appreciated

thank you

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you're going to have a GCVW of 20k Lbs you dont need a 4BT OR a Van. You need a 1 ton Dually or something like a F450/550 or a Big 4500 Series chevy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with Daryl completely. While the 4BT would be capable of 20,000 GCVW on the highway (depending on tranny and gear ratio choice), doing it with a van is not the way to go, especially the van that you have described. A 1983 Chevy G20 van is a half ton van with a larger rear spring pack installed at the factory. It has 1/2 ton front suspension, 10 bolt rear axle, and 5 lug wheels, and would not last long dragging around 14,000lbs. behind it.

Do yourself a favor and go with Daryl's recommendation and look for a heavier truck, and go with a larger engine. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're going to have a GCVW of 20k Lbs you dont need a 4BT OR a Van. You need a 1 ton Dually or something like a F450/550 or a Big 4500 Series chevy.
Never mind the above parameters, I found this thread as I would like to have a diesel G20 or G30 to use as a highway van.

I would like to have the mileage advantage of the 4BT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not going to pull 20 grand, maybe 15 at the most and not very often, i would just like to have it where i could if i needed to
it is mostly an around town vehicle, hwy sometimes, not necessarily a tow vehicle

·
Registered
500 Posts
15k combined is still too much. The step vans had a GVWR of about 11k. It's going to take more than 105hp to push 11k lb brick down the highway at road speed. A 4BT in the van would be fine, but I'd advise highly against towing more than the recommended GVCWR of the chassis/vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd just like to have a nice G3500 with one rear seat. My usage would be for a band with occasional extra passengers and the rear section for sound and gig gear.

The stock G3500 seems to be way overbuilt and perfect for the conversion....if the 4BT will fit.

Regarding transmission type and gearing, how would you approach this with the goal being a good fuel mileage vehicle?

How much do you believe could be achieved?

·
Registered
854 Posts
The stock G3500 seems to be way overbuilt and perfect for the conversion....if the 4BT will fit.
I think one dude is swapping one into a chevy astro

How much do you believe could be achieved?

I hear 30 mpg is doable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts