Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
84 Toyota Xtra Cab 4BTA

Its time to make the project official on here, as its very much under way in the shop, for Mid-Summer Completion.

As Purchased:
84 Toyota Extra Cab w/22R Manual
5 inch Spring Over Skyjacker W/ Rancho Shocks
31" Tires
5.29 Gears w/ LockRite Locker Front and Rear
Aluminum Flatbed
Sat for a decade. Fresh plugs, teaspoon of oil in cylinders, distributor cap and wires.... Started right up, drives ok. Carb is half siezed.

The Core:
1986 4BT 250,000 "Running Core"
Cracked Ring in #1 after dissasembly.
Walls Beyond Spec
H1C with ~1/8" Shaftplay.

Current Status:
4BT Block- Decked, Bored .5 MM, Fluxed
Crank-Polished(In Spec), Fluxed
Cam-Polished(In Spec), Fluxed
Rods-Fluxed, New Wristpin Bushings
Head-Rebuilt
Cummins Pistons .5 MM Over
Cummins Reseal Kit
Stock Pump : Planned rebuild/reseal, 4K Gov Spring, Tuning
Bosch 190's
hy35

·
Registered
1 Posts
84 yota

I have an 84 toyota as well, my is the standard cab but I am seriously considering the 4bt swap. Gas mileage sucks and the 22r has no balls!! i would love to know how your swap is going and maybe see some pics of it..

12 Posts
I would think that the torque of the diesel would destroy the lockrights, your factory carriers or both depending on how you wheel your rig.

You might be fine but something to think about. I have seen people put alloy shafts in their front Dana 30 axles in jeeps. Now that the u-joints and shafts aren't the weakest link the stock carrier becomes the weakest link and will split taking out the lockright with it.

Sweet truck, great idea, good luck with the build! :beer:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about the delay, I've been somewhat dead in the water compared to where I should be.....

Lock-rites will most likely grenade, I'm lusting after ARB's but the cash to talk ratio is currently crappy. I'm going to do Longfields in the front and cro-mo rear axles with 35's or 37's so it "should" hold.

Dana 300 transfer case, nearly rebuilt, all seals bearings, shift springs, only stock parts are gears and I/O shafts. Currie twin sticked.

Ford T-18 from an 84' Gasser with 6.32:1 first gear..... Waiting the novak conversion to mate to my dana 300.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fought with removing the shift rails for about an hour last night..... Unable to find free rebuild instructions, but the JB Conversions lomax gear installation instructions are almost entirey applicable. With simple turn of the rails they were removed..... So tonight they were removed cleaned and reinstalled. HOPEFULLY the 300 will be reassembled tomorrow or the next day. I may order the T-18 rebuild kit and adapter output shaft to mate it to the dana 300 tomorrow. then the engine/trans/transfer case can be mated and ready to install..... Sans fabbing up mounts....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Transfer case rebuild complete. Have not ordered Novak's T-18 to D300 kit yet. Need to so the engine/trans/transfer case can be dropped/mounts made and rear pinion angle set.

Parts ordered to arrive around thursday this week, all sourced from Trail-Gear.
Rear rock Assault Axle Housing w/inspection cap
Cro-Mo Rear Axles
Three Link w/Panard Bar Suspension Link Kit
14" Travel Racerunner Air Shocks
Front Bumper
Rock Sliders
High Steer kit
Refurbished IFS box with Mount
1.5 Wheel Spacers for the rear.

This will have the rear of the truck almost done with the exception of the differentials. I'm most likely going to run the lock-rites for now until I have the funds for arb's or blow them apart. Which ever comes first.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parts arrived today.

Built a stand to hold up the rear of the truck, and removed rear axle assy.
Most of all the mounts were cut off tonight.... Leaf spring mounts, bumpstops, unused bed mounts, ect.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
9/21 update:

Rock Assault axle assembled, sans re-gearing diff and/or replacing diff.
Housing is 86+ Width with additional 1.5" wheel spacers on each side for a total of 6" wider rear track.

Upper link and lower links cut to length, all link brackets mocked up on frame/axle. Wheelbase set to factory length, kit designed around 5" wheelbase extention. Only panhard bar left to trim.

Rear shocks required the 2x4 rails inside the factory frame to be notched.
Cross bracing to be added, which will double for shock mounts.

Transmission to transfer case adapter (T-18 to Dana 300) will be ordered from tomorrow with trans-rebuild kit, so pinion angle can be set and brackets welded to axle.

Rear cage may get removed in favor of a round bent tubing approach, for strength and aesthetic reasons.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the adapter/rebuild kit from novak on friday, transmainshaft has been swapped, syncros replaced, case cleaned, primed, painted, waiting on paint to dry. Trans will be reassembled tomorrow, test fit the engine and build mounts, and hopefully mate up the trans and transfer case in the truck to determine rear axle pinion angle. Then weld up the rear suspension.
Woot Woot :happyfinger:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update Part 1.

Three Link tacked in place, have to build shock hoops, check for any issues at maximum flex, and run beads.

Oh and the panhard bar is not level, I'm waiting to trim it and the bracket until everything else is verified.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update P2

Engine against firewall, as low and rearward as possible for optimal weight distribution. :happyfinger: As if my CG is anywhere even close to where i want it..... :(

Also rocker gaurds. and side suspension shot. Truck is at ride height sans the slight increase from 35" tires over 33's. Frame is 24" off the ground as measured under cab. It had a 5" leaf lift, I lowered it back down 4" while gaining flex and travel. Shock is positioned at 4.5" travel remaining with 9.5" droop. Gives an idea of where the shock tower will be and how everything will work out.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Part 3

Mounts. Tacked, with minimal beads just enough to support engine, incase things have to shift.

Rebuilt T-18 with Novak Tailshaft and Adapter Paired to Rebuilt Twin Sticked Dana 300.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Part 4

Axle Clearance Shots. Axle is going to come 3" forward to avoid any oil pan modifications.

Firewall Trimming. Okay firewall hack. I'm not a fan of body lifts, and I wanted the engine as far back and low as possible so this is what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the transmission/transfer case crossmember did not go as smoothly as planned. Almost the entire transmission tunnel has been removed to make things easier for now. The transmission output shaft is almost level with the floor of the cab. The rear frame crossmember under the back of the cab is going to have to be removed aswell. The driveshaft would have contacted it at full compression. Not major hurdles, but hick-ups none the less. :idea:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts