Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but I have been thinking of doing a cummins swap for a while now. I have some questions though. I have an 85 f 150 with a big block bellhousing t18 and a 400 engine. I want to put in a 4bt but I am not sure what trans I will need. I have a smallblock t 19 and I can get a smallblock zf5 if that would be better. The truck has 410's right now, but will get 3.08's after the swap. It is a 4x4 so that has to be kept in mind. I also have a smallblock c6 if that would be a better choice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 33's right now so that will put me in the upper part of the milage range. This truck wont have to pull much, maybe 6000lbs once in a while but that is what i have my 7.3 idi for. What will the 4bt bolt up to, i have heard a bunch of different things from different people.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
They bolt to everything. The SBF manual adapter is very common and one of the cheaper adapters. 33's and 3.08's would be pretty rough with an overdrive 5 speed. 4.10's and 35"s are about perfect, 33"s will work nice, but wind out more than needed if you drive 70+

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the confusion, the 3.08's would only be put in if the t18 stayed. The 33's will have to stay as I dont want to lift the truck anymore. Where can I get the nessecary adapter plate's at and where is a good place to find what the general cost of everything is going to be?

I want to build this on paper first and figure out what it is going to cost so i can have a general idea as to how i am going to go about it.

If anyone has ever done this sort of swap I would appreciate to here from you as to what I should look for and what the total cost will be.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The for sale section has a lot of adapters from time to time or ebay .

The Cummins engine engine adapters Ford ,GM ,Dodge ,ASE so all depends on what trans you like to run .

Scott

·
Registered
854 Posts
I bought my 4Bt complete with a NP435 trans attached for $1750

Since my truck already has a an NP435 it makes for an easy swap. I'm pretty sure the T-19 has the same bolt pattern on the bell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea they do have the same bell. I didn't know that those just bolted right up. This might not be to confusing after all. I don't know much about diesels yet. I spent a lot of time with gassers but diesels are still pretty new to me so the learning curve is still pretty steep but the only way you learn is to jump in and get your hands dirty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts