Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. What a great site you all have put together. I have done the Vortec swap into my 87 half ton 4X4 and yielded a powerful engine that will get 10 mpg on the highway. It has left me wanting more. I drive diesels every day in my 98 Chevy w/ 6.5 and my big truck w/ 400 Cummins and Versitile w/350 Cummins. Now I want a Cummins to just tear around with in my 87. I have read all the posts and it leaves me with mixed feelings. I have a 700R4 and would like to keep it. The motor mounts are the only thing that concerns me. How many out there have a 80 something with the 4BT swap?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i would recommend putting in a 6.2 litre chevy diesel, it will bolt up directly to the 700r4, because that is what it is meant for, i have one in my k5 with 290 000 kms on it, and still running strong, despite it's size, and lack of horsepower, it is a great engine, and will do 30 mpg on the highway, to make up for it's lack of horsepower, i am going to be turbocharging my truck.

·
Registered
915 Posts
While some of the 6.2's were good, I think the ratio is probably 50/50 with the ones that had premature failure. They are just not a great engine. If you are going to spend the money get a real diesel; cummins comes to mind....

I just finished a 6BT in an 87. You will have to cut and lower the center cross member under the engine unless it is vastly different from my V3500. However, this is really not difficult. I simply cut mine and used 3/8" plate to lower it 3.5" and welded it all back up. Took about an hour to do the modification.

The engine mounts can easily be fabricated to fit right in the GM isolators. I bolted plates to the engine, sat it in the frame with bracing, and used cardboard to make engine mount templates. Then just tack weld the mounts together, hoist the engine up, remove and weld them out. That took me about 3 or 4 hours to complete.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My concern with the inline 6 is that my half ton would probably break in half with all that torque. Lets see some pictures of your setup!!
Is that any 4bt's in a half ton such as my 87 with the 700r4 behind it ??

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 4bta in my 86 chevy 3/4 ton it took some doing but was not that bad. The biggest thing is clearing the front diff and hood. I have about 3 inch of suspention lift and 1 inch body lift and do not think you could do it with much less and not have problems. I removed the front cross member and made a new center one. I have no idea about the 700 auto.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Here is my build up thread:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277

If you can stand to stay out of the pump, your truck should handle it. It might not be a bad idea to do some boxing on the frame while you have the engine out. Those 80's 1/2 tons were pretty weak in the frame rails.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here is my build up thread:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277

If you can stand to stay out of the pump, your truck should handle it. It might not be a bad idea to do some boxing on the frame while you have the engine out. Those 80's 1/2 tons were pretty weak in the frame rails.
Only around the steering box on a 4x4. The rest of the frame should be fine. Never heard of a BBC twisting the frame on a pickup.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Only around the steering box on a 4x4. The rest of the frame should be fine. Never heard of a BBC twisting the frame on a pickup.
This is true, but these frames are pretty weak when compared to most of the others out there. The earlier and later frames are better, but there are just not much to the mid 80's truck 1/2 tons. The 3/4 up are alot heavier than the 1/2 tons.

Really just up to you....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts