Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m swapping a 6BT / NV4500 / Ford NP205 into my 1998 Chevy K2500. The truck originally had a 5.7 / 4l80e / NP243 powertrain. I understand the Ford NP205 makes this a slightly less common combo but I was wondering what cross member people are using or fabricating when performing a 6BT and NV4500 swap on a GMT400 platform.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m swapping a 6BT / NV4500 / Ford NP204 into my 1998 Chevy K2500. The truck originally had a 5.7 / 4l80e / NP243 powertrain. I understand the Ford NP205 makes this a slightly less common combo but I was wondering what cross member people are using or fabricating when performing a 6BT and NV4500 swap on a GMT400 platform.
We always swap the output shaft on the NV4500 to the GM 32 spline and the cast iron GM tail housing. That way you can retain your stock transfercase and GM crossmember. Your crossmember will need to be relocated.

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
Never heard of a Ford NP204. That was a divorced GM transfer case if I'm not mistaken. Ford used the NP205 in both divorced and married versions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never heard of a Ford NP204. That was a divorced GM transfer case if I'm not mistaken. Ford used the NP205 in both divorced and married versions.
Sorry, typo. I meant NP205. I have a married, Ford NP205 adapted with an Advance Adapters kit to a Dodge NV4500 with a cast iron tail housing. The more I look at it the more I think I'm going to have to fabricate my own trans cross member when I get everything bolted up to the 12v in the truck. I was hoping there might be an easier solution that others were aware of on the forum.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Pretty simple to make new crossmember rather than making compromises adapting some factory unit, use factory rubber mounts.

Ed in CO.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Making a crossmember isn't that difficult. It can be done with limited tools as these guys demonstrate

"
"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Avoid a flat strap cross-member, build it using box tubing. That flat strap cross-member in the video will be a flexy-flyer. Try to use the rectangular with the long sides vertical if all possible. Unless a diving board is your goal......

·
Registered
409 Posts
I’m swapping a 6BT / NV4500 / Ford NP205 into my 1998 Chevy K2500. The truck originally had a 5.7 / 4l80e / NP243 powertrain. I understand the Ford NP205 makes this a slightly less common combo but I was wondering what cross member people are using or fabricating when performing a 6BT and NV4500 swap on a GMT400 platform.
What is the problem using the original Chevy crossmember and changing out the rubber mount?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts