Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this project started a couple months ago and it’s slowly been evolving. The truck was originally a 302 4 speed 4x4 f150. My pap bought the truck brand new and it’s been in the family ever since, when he passed away a few years ago, I took over ownership. I freshened everything up and put a 302 in with some work done. Off and on daily driver over the past two years, ended up with a leveling kit and 35s about 6 months ago.

Really been getting into off-roading Jeep, Toyota’s, etc and the last camping/wheeling trip we went on, I took my buddies yota, and let’s just say the ride to and from was not fun at all. Pictures will be attached. I know it wasn’t a towing machine but I had higher hopes than how it actually performed.

So wheels started turning, and kicked off a cummins project. I first scooped a running 92 12 valve complete with zf5, flywheel, clutch, adaptor late, starter, radiator and intercooler. And then I picked up a set of 2004 super duty axles, and bought a SAS kit off sky Offroad. First to go was the 302 so yanked it out, and then got to swapping the axles, the rear was basically a bolt in swap, some modifications to the shock brackets are needed but basically bolt in. Used f250 leafs, and f350 factory leaf blocks. The front crossmember included many measurements in hopes to get caster correct. It was a few night procedure.

Once axles were basically ready to go, I started on the Cummins side of the project, bought the mount kit from DCS, which they were unsure whether or not the f150 would accept the 6bt mounts or not, and it did! They pretty much fell in and it worked out great. As far as the trans was concerned, I moved the crossmember back about 5-6 inches. Retaining the factory transfer case, and a conversion u joint, had the driveshaft shortened as well. Clutch line was a factory zf5 line and also purchased a new heavy duty zf clutch. Everything went together really well.

Been slowly knocking things out here in the past two weeks, the truck has been outside for most of the project, but now is in the garage. Finished up the fuel system the other night using a 7.3 sending unit in the factory tank, utilized some dorman PTC fuel line fittings with rubber hose going to New hard lines on the frame, again all coming together very nicely. Also knocked out the old TTB shock buckets and installed some 88 f250 single shock buckets for the axle swap.

Next I started looking into the radiator and intercooler options. The truck came with all 2nd gen stuff which is too large for the ford, I ended up grabbing a radiator for 100, and traded intercoolers and intake horns with a buddy that has a 1st gen. It’s almost like the 1st gen stuff was made for the ford. The front end of the truck is also getting upgraded to the 92-97 headlights and grille. The 88 stuff was all rusted out, and with needing a new rad support anyways, I upgraded to the newer stuff. All opinion on what looks better, I like the newer.

Anyways, I should have started this thread way back when, but I’m really happy with how everything is coming together so I figured why not.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pictures

KDP kit done

Radiator and intercooler mocked up, since been fully bolted together. The brackets for rad are oem first gen brackets that I modified to work. Intercooler is bolted straight to support with the factory bushings. Lower holes drilled for the rad bushings as well.

Factory style fuel line connectors used, really happy I was able to incorporate these. Makes it 10 times easier and a million times cleaner looking.

The f250 shock towers with some random shocks that were on a scout at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Interesting build. One thing you could have used the Ford 7.3 radiator and intercooler but the Dodge is OK. Nice thing about those trucks is the front sheet metal and grille can be swapped since the body lines are the same form '87-98. You could swap in a 7.3 instrument cluster to have a fuel gauge that says diesel and a diesel tach. Did you change the dual tank switching valve assembly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting build. One thing you could have used the Ford 7.3 radiator and intercooler but the Dodge is OK. Nice thing about those trucks is the front sheet metal and grille can be swapped since the body lines are the same form '87-98. You could swap in a 7.3 instrument cluster to have a fuel gauge that says diesel and a diesel tach. Did you change the dual tank switching valve assembly?
It’s a regular gas rad support, so the 7.3 stuff wouldn’t fit. And swapping the 7.3 cluster is a possibility. And I didn’t change the dual tank. Just gunna run one, and possibly upgrade to the 38 gallon tank later on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts