Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey , i've been thinking about doing a diesel swap for quite some time , i've loved diesel power since my 82 imark :D anyway i have a 4bd1t and an 88 trooper that i've decided would be good candidates for my project my question is do you foresee any more than the normal complications of doing a swap like this. i'll outline some of my thoughts here

1. Will the trooper chassis handle the power/weight of the 4bd1 ? or will it twist and cry

2. Can i mate the engine to the transmission without too much work.

3. If i can mate the motor to the factory transmission, transfer case , shafts and axles be able to handle the torque?

i know that a 4jb1 would be a pretty straight swap since that was factory in some troopers but i don't have one of those (unless you want to trade ;) ) by looking at the size differences i'm sure i'm going to need to put a body lift on to get clearance. the truck won't be for serious offroading, maybe some rough roads is about it, mostly just a camping warrior

anyway your thoughts ?

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'm not real familiar with the Trooper, but it seems like the smaller engine would be a much easier swap since the factory has also taken a whack at the job.I would think that you could trade your motor if you didn't live in such a remote locale!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Find yourself a nice Land Cruiser and stick that 4bd1 in it.Either a 60 or an 80 series will make a much better rig than the trooper and it will be worth much more when you are done.I'm a big fan of Isuzu diesels, but I've yet to find a mechanic who has much good to say about the Trooper.

·
Super Moderator
8,818 Posts
It's not going to fit without some massive shoe-horning. Even then it'll probably corkscrew the gearbox.
Too long and too tall. Probably too wide over the bellhousing too.

IMO the troopers and the 4BD1T's are both excellent, but shouldn't be mixed (much like citrus drinks and creamy drinks). It'll take a landcruiser or rangerover chassis to provide a solid home for that 4BD1T.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like i need to wait until i get a nice scout or something, i try to limit myself to what i get for free (not hard when you have a towing company) thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Even in California it can be a long wait for a clean binder, but I agree that it would be a nice home for your diesel.Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts