Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a decent '89 F-150 this morning. It's a 4.9L and stick shift (should be M5R2), long bed regular cab. The old 300 is pretty strong and doesn't appear to burn any oil. Indicated mileage is 04XXX, not sure if it's 104K, 204K, 304K, or what. I know a guy with a similar '88 and he's not even sure how many times the odometer has rolled over, he said it could be 6 or 7!
Anyway, this '89 is what I hope to put a 4BT in to.
The issues are:
#1, the M5R2 growls in first, second, and third. seems fine in fourth, I didn't get into fifth. Shifts fine, it just sounds like the straight-cut crash-box that was in my '51 F-2. I'm not sure if it's low on fluid or needs a complete rebuild.
#2, Electrical issues. The horn, park lights, tail lights, and radio don't work. I suspect it's all the same fuse, I've had similar issues on other vehicles in the past. Any ideas what might cause this?
#3, AC is out. This might be related to #2, or might be separate. The compressor doesn't engage. Even though I'm in Houston, this isn't high on my concerns.
Anything else I should look for? It does have cosmetic issues that are of no real concern.
#4, Tailgate latch is broken. I know this is a common problem, but is it an easy fix?
I'll add more as I remember. Can anybody run a carfax?

Thanks,
CD

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hello,
Sounds like a decent old f150 your looking at. With the transmission, check the fluid first (there is a small fill plug near the top and you take that out to see how much fluid is in it) Make sure that it has ATF because many people fill them with oil and it ruins the bearings. In addition, the #1 cause of failure in these transmissions is from heat due to low fluid levels (which is caused by leaky seals near the shifter but thats another story).

The electronics sound like a fuse as does the AC, but its hard to tell without first testing fuses.
Good luck,
Jordan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Noisey first through third but not in fourth is usually a bad input bearing or mainshaft pilot bearing in the input. First through third run the engine power in through the input shaft down to the cluster gear and then back up to the main shaft (output shaft). This power transfer causes the input and mainshaft to deflect away from the cluster gear putting load on the main bearings, in a tranny with bad bearings this causes lots of noise. Fourth gear (1:1 drive) conects the input directly to the mainshaft so there is no deflection from the cluster gear and in turn causes less load on the main bearings in the tranny so there is little to no audible noise.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Assume you will need to rebuild the M5R2.

The EFI 300's go forever. I've removed EFI ones with nearly 400K miles, done nothing to them and installed them into older Ford trucks where they keep going and going. I've seen a couple EFI 300's pushing the million mile mark untouched internally. My best friends 77 F250 4x4 is powered by an EFI 300 from an 89 F250 and has around 450,000 miles on it with nothing done to it besides oil changes, tuneup parts and a TPS sensor. The engine still runs it's original O2 sensor, doesn't burn a drop of oil, idles and runs like a Swiss watch (difficult to tell it's running at idle) and gets nearly 20 MPG around town in a heavy pickup.

·
Registered
860 Posts
yep

my friend bought his company truck which had about 300,000 on it---thought he would check the spark plugs and tune it up before he gave it to his son---he found the electrodes completely burned out of the sparkplugs-----he laughed about it saying it was running great when he pulled the plugs----we figured the computer just kept adjusting everything to keep it running---kid wrecked the truck but the motor lives in in another friends hot rod---those 300,s just cant be killed---bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts