Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 Ford EFI 460 auto truck to 5.9 BT nv4500 swap

Getting to the fuel and wiring part of the swap, any tricks or tips?

The plan was to remove the EFI high pressure pump on the frame rail, leave the in-tank pumps ( I am assuming it has them), install bypass regulator between the fuel filter and injector pump and adapt the lines to fit.

Is there anything that needs to be “tricked” so the electric fuel pumps work? I have read about the park switch (had an auto). Also are people leaving the stock Cummins lift pumps on there motors assuming that the truck has in-tank pumps?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
39 Posts
The stock LP on the 12v 5.9l need a little help from the tank. The 24V LP are the in-tank ones. What year Cummins is going in? The 89-93 have a diaphram style LP while the 94-98 12v have a piston LP.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is there anything that needs to be “tricked” so the electric fuel pumps work? I have read about the park switch (had an auto). Also are people leaving the stock Cummins lift pumps on there motors assuming that the truck has in-tank pumps?
The fuel pump relay is controlled by the EEC computer.
Notice that your truck will shutoff the fuel pumps if the key is "ON" and the engine is not running.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Rewire the truck so the EEC relay triggers the IP solenoid and turns on the fuel pump relay. Sounds complex, but they're right next to each other. Takes a couple minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda figured that the relay would be controlled by the the eec. Guess I will have to dig out the manual and trace some wires.

Oldestof 11: The motor is an 89 with a diapham pump but I also have a piston pump as well and a bypass regulator.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Place the regulator between the filter and the IP, and set it to 15psi. That is what works the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts