Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’m about to pull the trigger on a 8v53 Detroit, mostly complete minus a water pump and fan but those are easy to find. My biggest concern is it has a sae1 bell housing and a big flywheel from a michigan loader. I would really like to get a sae 2 housing, anyone know of any for sale? The seller is going to include a 6v53 bell housing but I don’t think it’s a 100% bolts matching up. So I guess if I couldn’t find a sae 2 housing I’d have to find a flywheel so I could run a spicer or Eaton trans for my rat rod I’m building. Anyways the bell housing is my concern right now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Rpf,

As far as I'm aware of.. the 8v and 6v engines had the same configuration. The differences between the 2 flywheel housing might be in whether or not the rear accessory ports are available. I.e. as the sae 1 is a bigger housing the accessory ports may be unusable as the flywheel housing covers them, but on the sae 2 unit they are available. Detroit Diesel 6v-53 specifications and manuals . Worse case you sell the 6v housing.

Cj

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the help. The two accessory ports right above the bell housing do have the covers on each bell housing that I’m buying, neither are used on this engine. Then there is the two above that. That’s where my concern is mostly. It seem that’s where the 8v and 6v can be different from the pics I’ve seen. The sa1 housing that comes with the 8v has a blank housing area up there. I haven’t seen the 6v rear housing yet but through many google searches I haven’t seen a 6v housing that matched an 8v housing at the very top where the blower stuff meets up. But I’m no expert. Here’s a pic on the one I’m looking at buying
5CCD22F9-A032-4026-A4D6-597199CC81C5.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Also thanks for any info anyone might have. I’ve read that the 8v53 uses a 71 series flywheel. I see the 71 series flywheel on eBay that says it’s a sae2 flywheel. The flywheel looks like it’d go in a sae1 housing and has a sae2 clutch bolt pattern but the description doesn’t state much. This would be nice bc I could use the stock housing, the starter would make contact and I could get an adapter ring for the housing to accept the sae2 trans housing. Wondering if this if for a manual or auto though because the center is somewhat recessed. All just thoughts I’m throwing out there.
C54D1643-3D67-4ECA-84CA-F9C05EB78F57.png

·
Registered
67 Posts
On the flywheel - I say it is a manual. The Cummins v504 I have has a recessed clutch like that as well. If that is a pic of the flywheel in question I'd say it probably is a SAE 2 - That is the same diameter as the flywheel I stuck in my truck which is SAE 2.

Cj

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve just read a thread where it was unofficially stated that 8v53 and 6v53 bell housings don’t swap. I can see the upper area for the blowers being different from pictures. If true this means I either find a sae 2 or 3 housing for the 8v53 or somehow get a transmission that isn’t massive to bolt up to the current sae1. I was hoping for a spicer 6 speed or Eaton 6 speed. Or something similar with a decent last gear. Worst case a 10 speed, but I really don’t need all the gears.

The rat rod will be more of a slightly oversized muscley rat rod with a factory look to it. I’ve got my frame, axles already and about to buy this engine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does your 8V have a flywheel for a clutch, or for some type of torque convertor. (flex plate) If it will accept an automotive style clutch, keep your #1 stuff and find an adapter ring for whatever clutch housing comes with your choice of transmission.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine I’m buying is pictured above. It came from a Michigan loader and has some type of flywheel on it so I’m not sure it is would work in an automotive application. It also says General Motors Diesel on the valve cover instead of Detroit Diesel. Which would mean this is an earlier engine, pre ‘65??? Please correct me if I’m wrong. Are there any differences between a GMD 8v53 and a DD 8v53

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have an 8v53 that was removed from a firetruck. I also have a bare block and crank with very low serial number like 124 I think. A little less than 8000 8V53s were built. Per documentation If I recall there was only a small revision done to the airbox weep hole drains somewhere in the mid 4000s serial number. Other than that all 8V53N are same Internally as far as I know. The rare 8V53T is a different story. The housings, blower, gear train ect are 8V specific and do not interchange with 6V

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boostedretard, do you plan on keeping these engines? Which SAE housing do you have, 2 or 3?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sae 2 if I recall. I can find out for sure next time I mess with it. Planning to move it soon from it's storage location. Planning on keeping it for now. I don't need the bare block or crank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy was able to get me the numbers off the head today...

5087-5040
8V1081

The only info I couldn’t decode was the “40” in the 5040. The chart just says specific customer number or order number. But being a “5”040 checks out as the proper rotation for a vehicle. And I assume it was number 1081 built.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello. I’m about to pull the trigger on a 8v53 Detroit, mostly complete minus a water pump and fan but those are easy to find. My biggest concern is it has a sae1 bell housing and a big flywheel from a michigan loader. I would really like to get a sae 2 housing, anyone know of any for sale? The seller is going to include a 6v53 bell housing but I don’t think it’s a 100% bolts matching up. So I guess if I couldn’t find a sae 2 housing I’d have to find a flywheel so I could run a spicer or Eaton trans for my rat rod I’m building. Anyways the bell housing is my concern right now.
The Vmitors shared bell housing pattern. I replaced a 6V71 with an 8V92 with Vee drive but if your 318hp came from a Vee drive (for example in a rear engine 66 gmc bus like in the movie Speed) it is a reverse rotation motor and extremely heavy. The buses often had 4 speeds in them. I don’t know if Wartzillas (sp?) diesel in Langley BC or Seattle still has those old busses 🚎 for parts. I bought 2 almost complete buses to turn into one good one and only got to drive it 1,000 miles before I sold it to a guy in CA who used it as a movie prop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So I went and picked up the engine yesterday. Hauled it in the bed of my ‘07 Gmc 2500hd ccsb duramax. I did a test run before the trip with 2,400 lbs of logs in the bed and it did just fine. 800 mile round trip to get it. Got back and used the weigh scale at the pit near my house. The engine weighs 2,000lbs with the sae1 housing and flywheel, the air compressor and all the accessories. The duramax hauled it well. I must admit that the 8v53 was intimidating at first, what a beast. Bought the engine and a spare 6v53 bell housing for $1,100.

The guy said it ran great when he took it out of the loader and he removed the injectors to lubricate the cylinders and turn the engine. So I’ll need to do a few things to see it run. For that price I wasn’t too worried about getting hurt on it since they are so hard to find now. Whether it’s good or not it’ll be a good experience and I figure people lose $1,000 on a lot worse and I could probably part it out if it’s bad and get all my money back.

Within a few miles from picking it up a huge bald eagle flew over my truck with the engine in it and then a guy at the gas station came right up to compliment me on my purchase and tell me how I’ve got a real piece of history. I take that as a good sign haha

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes... Pictures Please! Also... I noticed your reply on Suzu's 3-53 thread. What Eaton Fuller 6 speed are you thinking about getting? You may be able to find a #1 bell housing for the transmission.

Cj

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some pics for ya! Could use a clean up externally but just a quick look under the valve covers and there’s no sludge or build up. You’ll notice in the pic of the flywheel that a few flywheel bolts are loose, aaand I really don’t see how a starter could contact the teeth on it. Am I wrong or did someone maybe put this flywheel on here and it’s a size too small for the bellhousing. Either way I figured I needed a different flywheel anyways. I’d like to go with a Eaton fuller fso-6406a. I think I’ve only seen those with sae2 bells so far

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I parted out a 1995 c3500hd. The 1 1/4 ton trucks. I’ll actually be using the frame backwards after I chop a few feet off both ends, taking some width out of it also. The frame is 1/4 hardened steel(harder than normal frames, I had to drill one on another truck with a mag drill and she did not like it) big and tall too. Using the axles from that truck, the front bull horn style with the 19.5” wheel 10 lug and the rear GM spec Dana 80 dually with the 19.5” wheels and 10 lugs, factory disc all around. No sheet metal yet but I want it to look like it would be something GM built in the late 20s early 30s using 95% GM stuff or stuff from GM affiliates. Front suspension will be big “I beam” looking radius arms with dodge 3500 coil springs on top of them. Rear suspension, wanted to be different so gunna have dual parallel leafs.... two packs each side, one pack either side of frame. And the frame will be underneath the rear axle.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts