Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

8v53t vs 453t

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  AnarchyI 
#1 ·
So i recently picked up an old military 8v53t, and was wondering what all is unique to it.
I'm aware that obviously the crank and block are unique, as well as the flywheel housing, front cover, blower, and governor, and I've heard that the flywheel is 71 series.
The heads, valve covers, and all 53 series specific components should be shared between it and the 453.

After looking at the service manual and seeing that the firing order is identical to the 453 on each bank, my question is whether the cams are actually shared.
The right bank cam is already on the correct plane to be driven by the timing gears, and the left bank cam could be flipped end for end with a spacer/different timing gear to account for the opposite rotation and offset respectively.

I haven't tore it down yet to make any measurements, and this is the first Detroit I've had the chance to play with, so my experience here is lacking.

Has anyone had the two side by side to see?
Interestingly, the 6v53 seems to have the same thing going on too. Same firing order on both banks as the 353
Text Font

If anyone is curious, here's a pic of the beast
Engine Machine Auto part Vehicle Toolroom

It looks like it's still in the same configuration as it was in when it was sold by the military. Lots of aluminum used on it, and the flywheel housing is an sae2 with a flex plate in it.

See less See more
#5 ·
In 1982, FMC was contracted to conduct the LVTP-7 Service Life Extension Program, which converted the LVT-7 vehicles to the improved AAV-7A1 vehicle by adding an improved engine, transmission, and weapons system and improving the overall maintainability of the vehicle. The Cummins VT400 diesel engine replaced the GM 8V53T, and this was driven through FMC's HS-400-3A1 transmission.
Assault Amphibious Vehicle - Wikipedia

#7 ·
Isnt it :sneaky:?
Sadly I can't use it in the application I have planned. Gonna have to switch to parallel twins.

The block itself is iron. I was hoping it would be aluminum too since id heard the same about the military engines.
I haven't weighed it yet, but its going to be on a diet for sure, shipping weight was 2650 and there isn't much of it that i can easily shave. Crossing my fingers that they over-estimated a bit...

#10 ·
Planning on using a p30 axle, but I'm open to other ideas. Final curb weight should be around 10k.

I have no idea of what your plans may be, but how will "parallel twins" be smaller and/or lighter. If a 6v weighs 1700 lbs, a equally equipped 8v53 should weigh about 2000 lbs.
I'd be happy if I could get it down to that 2k. I couldn't find anyone who had weighed one of these, so its all been speculation.

The stock turbo on this thing is front mounted, and as such would be entirely through the hood in the chassis i'm stuffing it in.
If I put it to either side I'd have an exhaust routing nightmare; I don't want a crossover pipe over the engine, no room in front of it, no room under it, no room behind it, and if I tried to put it on top in the rear it would still be halfway through the hood. Since i don't want anything through the body, there aren't many other options besides to move to twins.

Not necessarily smaller or lighter, but absolutely easier to package.

#16 ·
Thanks man, it's definitely a shame that these engines are so scarce now.

Before I prepped it for storage over the winter I did take it to a truck scale to check.

It weighed in at 1900, minus the oil cooler, damper and flywheel (its previous application used a flex plate).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.