Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it was worth it to put a 91 cummins motor in my 92 chevy (previously a 6.5 Turbo diesel). The 6.5 finally died at 285,000 miles and I don't see it cost effective to rebuild. I can get the cummins motor and the automatic transmission at a decent price, but it has 210,000 miles on it. Is it worth it and what mods would have to be made to get it to fit/work correctly? Any info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do some searching here and the other sites. You will find all the awnsers youre looking for.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It totally depends on what you're going to do with the truck. Hot Rodding? A lot of towing(heavy) I'd go with cummins/allison setup. Mild towing/Daily Driver - Rebuild whatcha got. www.thedieselpage.com has some good info on the 6.2/6.5/Duramax setups.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be pretty much just a daily driver with some towing every now and then... I have been thinking about rebuilding mine, but it will be over $3,000 easily... i found a 91 cummins motor and transmission (with radiator, wiring harness, etc) for half that price... just not sure how complicated it would be to throw in the cummins engine and dodge trans in my pickup.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Chevy Conversion

1993 Chev 4x4 5 sp SRW 1 ton.
I did everything possible to the 6.5L to make it pull. Intercooled, timing gears, high output water pump, that engine lost a head gasket, fixed and I was still dissatified and not confident. Went to low-compression pistons, marine pump, high pop injector, ceramic coated head -piston -exhaust, marine turbo and while it was the fastest diesel I have owned, and while it would pull. It did not have the grunt of the Cummins I have in it now.

Stock 6.5- must pull load 68-74 or you were out of sweet spot and need another gear. Good for about 8K loads tops.
Low-compression 6.5- 58-64 was sweet spot. Lots of grunt, and with 4100 rpm, awesome power. Just not dependable - at 44K lost a rod cap.

Cummins - 300 HP setup. Sweet spot is 50-62. Will still pull 5th at 45 loaded. At 55-58 I can get similar mileage towing 12-14K gross as empty. Will pull to 86 governor, if thats what you want. The engine make the truck.

Recently pull several load grossing 19-26K. Acceleration to spare. More go than woe.

Same truck, same gear, sweet pulling spot got lower and power stronger, but no mods compete with the Cummins for pulling.

Have over 100K on conversion. Absolutely worth it.

The 93 and early MFI GM are some of the best years for conversion.

Wayne

·
Registered
915 Posts
It would be pretty much just a daily driver with some towing every now and then... I have been thinking about rebuilding mine, but it will be over $3,000 easily... i found a 91 cummins motor and transmission (with radiator, wiring harness, etc) for half that price... just not sure how complicated it would be to throw in the cummins engine and dodge trans in my pickup.
I had the same situation with my 87 that had a 6.5T transplant. I am adapting it to the chevy automatic so that raised the price, but I am going to end up with about $3200 in the swap. However, I did get a great deal on a low mileage 6BT for $1150 so that helped with costs. As far as the installation it took two good days to get it bolted in the truck. Yours might be easier depending on how you do it. I had to cut and modify two cross memebers, so that took a little more time.

From all my rambling I hope you can discern that I would recommend the swap, but just plan on some time and unexpected expense to complete it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2000 chevy crewcab dually (gasser) that i am doing a cummins swap, just got my motor mounts from tennessee diesel conversions, starting this weekend, the motor mounts are very stout, and scott is a great guy do deal with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts