Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well here is my 91 GMC cc CTD.
spec..
Engine *94 5.9 p- pump ,mod fuel plate,4k gov spring,PDR cam,afe af.
Drive train * Dana 60f ,14 bolt,4.10 gears,Nv4500 ,SBC Con ofe 13.25

5 years on this conversion and I love it,all my gasers are getting Cummins (99 Chevy Tahoe 5.9 ,88 Sammy 4bta)

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cool, I'm about to put mine in... again. Got any pics of body clearance that might be helpful? I'm not going to run any body lift if I can get away with it.

Also thinking hard about converting everything.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do conversion of all types and fab mounts and such!

No body lift needed ,no fire wall beating .

I have alot of info on other web sites as well or if you need more pics let me know. What pics do you want of the cab to engine?

Thanks for the comment

·
Registered
137 Posts
cool..

mostly I'm just curious how well or ill the motor fits w/no body lift. The only other GM conversions I've seen (and only 2 at that) have had pretty big body lifts and the firewall denting was minimal.
I'm also curious about hood clearance at the front w/no body lift. If it's an issue, I'm planning on running an "Eleanor" style scoop to clear the front of the head, seems like it's tailor-made to fit LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
6bt /5.9 conversions

Hey Scott,

Do you have other conversions done now if so id like to have pics.

My wife wants a 4cyl durango , i think stock 6b mounts would work but im not shure the weight , i have no clue other than axel swap in the front

I ll be sending a cd to you soon , what other pics you want on it ?????

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dvolk,

Send what ever pics that you want.

Well on the mounts ,that's one of those things that you'll have to fab up per the truck,It will take some time due to the newer computer stuff so that you won' have cods and lights on !

The front sup will need a little work as well !

Try it you'll never know.

Let me know when your ready for the quote for my conversion parts that we talked about.

Did you get your fuel problem worked out yet??

Later

·
Registered
15 Posts
Crew Cab 59,

I am doing a similar swap to yours and had a couple questions. Did you use the fuel senders from a carbed gasser or did you use the diesel senders? Were you able to run the cummins fan as well as the stock gm radiator? Did you keep the stock trans crossmember in the stock location? I am getting ready to pull the TBI 454 this week and start fitting the 5.9. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi,
1. You'll need to use your gas sender's,my truck was already a diesel so I just used brass PT adapters to fit the cummins block.
2.I used the stock manual fan,I had to switch to a 2 core rad ,the 4 core are to wide and thick.
3.With my mounts and engine crossmember the trans / t-case stay in the same location.
4. what year of 5.9 are you running?
5. what are you doing for mounts and engine crossmember?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 1994 5.9 with a p7100 pump from a Dodge 2500 4x4. I rounded up two passenger side mounts from a 2002 and am thinking about using those. I was going to build a new crossmember and mounts for use with the puck style mounts. I saw that you had used the stock frame mounts in the truck, how have those held up? I have some pictures of the work done so far on the website in my sig. Does the 2 core rad keep the truck cool enough? Thanks for the information on your swap.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those stock Gm isolators have been in there almost 6 yrs,showing no problems so far.

The temp runs all day at 180 even pulling 10,000 on long upgrades the temp only went to 195* which is great.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
176 Posts
Crewcab59,

Questions on yours:

1.) Will the dodge AC compressor in stock location clear the passenger side frame rail?

2.) What kind fuel mileage are you getting?

I'm about to buy a crewcab and a 93' 5.9 with the rotory pump. Yeah the P7100 pump is better but buying the whole dodge truck for $1100! Can't pass up that deal.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The frame has to be notched to fit the compressor.

I'm getting around 16mpg with 4:10 gears little better If I keep my foot out of it.

I have a 94 12v,PDR cam,mod fuel plate,4,000 gov springs,AFE air filter.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Scott,
Did you have to remove the #1 crossmember (or relocate)? I did a dry fit tonight and see that I will have to cut a new hole for the shifter. Are the mounts that you make centered on the cummins mount bolt pattern? Any pics of your mounts available?

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The first crossmember is trimed for the belt doesn't get cut,My mounts bolt to the 4 holes in center of the block ,then they set down on the Gm isolators.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
54 Posts
nice looking ride crew cab. just wondered if anyone has thought about using the firewall out of a c-65 to gain several inches of clearance .

·
Registered
54 Posts
no matter what kind of rig thats a pretty long motor in there. most folks start running out of room for four row radiatiors , intercooler and a/c condensers and tranny coolers for those automatic rigs. and still have some room left for the core support and a hood latch. thought it might be a clean way of adding firewall room.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Scott,

Do you have any advice on adapting the Dodge slave to the Gm master? I have a threaded line on the GM master and a plastic line going into the Dodge Slave. Is there a fitting that will adapt these two styles?

Thanks,
Andrew

1 - 20 of 30 Posts