Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone. Been gone from here for wayyyyy too long, I definitely let my help thread get away from me. But here's what i've been up to recently (sorry for the not so good pictures. reached my upload limit for now...)

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Never seen a hole in a piston like that. What is causing something like that ? Too much starter fluid, overheating or lack of oil pressure ?
Do you use original Deutz pistons and sleeves or the aftermarket ones ?
Nice work btw

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, no holes in any of the pistons just lots of rust and corrosion from water entering the cylinders. But I do see in the one picture what you mean it does look like a hole. The kit I use depends on the customer, I myself prefer to use Memo rebuild kits they have a really nice kit and its about $4000 cheaper then the Deutz kit. I've found no differences really between the two kits

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just wondering , what rebuild kits other guys are using. We have used one so far in a F4L912 . 900 hrs on since rebuilt and so far so good.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I myself prefer to use Memo rebuild kits they have a really nice kit and its about $4000 cheaper then the Deutz kit. I've found no differences really between the two kits
Ruffcorn - if you don't mind saying what is the cost of a rebuild kit? Been hearing horror stories about deutz parts cost. One bloke I know who needed a new crank for his F2L912 said he was quoted $12000 and no there's no typo there...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ruffcorn - if you don't mind saying what is the cost of a rebuild kit? Been hearing horror stories about deutz parts cost. One bloke I know who needed a new crank for his F2L912 said he was quoted $12000 and no there's no typo there...
I can pick up a top to bottom rebuild for a 6 cylinder, sleeves, pistons, bearings, valves, guides, seats, oil pump, rocker arm bearings and pads, cam tappers, injector tips, head and rod bolts, full gasket kit, and filters for about 3300 bucks versus 8000 for a factory deutz kit. I really wouldn't doubt that a 2 cylinder crank would be that expensive. But if you figure the cost of a new f6l the aftermarket kit makes it not so bad

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had it in the dyno this week pretty impressed by its performance pulled 103 horsepower and 252 foot pounds at about 2200 rpm

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
RC, very cool job n that motor! I love the absolutely clean minimalistic look of an air cooled Deutz. Don't know why, but I thought the 6s put out around 120 and Tq in the low 300s in N/A builds like yours. How much do they weigh? Are automotive trans adapters available or do you have to do it in two stages with an SAE adapter?

·
Registered
30 Posts
A F5L912 is rated 88hp at 2300rpm. The first series of the F6L912 put out 100hp and the the later series 102 hp at 2300rpm. You can always push a little more with adjusting rpm's and fuel injection. 103 hp on a rebuild is like a brand new one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
next engine in the shop is a BF4L913, really looking forward to getting it finished up, once I get my membership star here this week ill throw up a few pictures of it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts