Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 92 ranger had a 88 turbo coupe setup I bought from local junkyard drive train had 188,xxx miles on it when pulled and I just swapped it in well lasted about 500 miles or so and then the aux shaft bearings gave out so now I have pulled that out and sold that setup. I am currently on the fence on what to do now I have been thinking a 302 swap as the swap kit is available but that has been done countless times and I am all about being different, I have been looking on this site and looked at the most recent write up of the 4BT swap in a ranger. I am wondering how costly it is and also what is needed to do this swap wanting to keep it ford as far as trans goes. my ranger is 2wd. do I need to do a body lift with no heater box and the shop I work at I can make motor mounts and such have a mig and tig welder and other equipment...... Just trying to get idea's or a direction to start toward thanks very much for any info

·
Registered
636 Posts
i'm building a ranger as well right now.
cost is all depending on how much power and how many goodies you want on your truck and what you want it to do. minum around 2000-3000g's for the engine, then your looking into drivetrain parts, axles. ect. trust me not cheap, cause a ranger drive train probably won't handle the weight and torque of a 4bt.
if you want your tranny to be ford you have 2 options, zf 5speed or a m5r2od. the zf5speed requires(in my truck) 3 inch body lift and some small modifications to the body to fit. the m5r20d is slightly smaller, at least a 2 inch body lift.
as far as i'm concerned making a 2wd ranger is kinda pointless unless you like pavement princess trucks...make it 4x4 and you'll thank yourself later

·
Registered
15 Posts
i'm building a ranger as well right now.
cost is all depending on how much power and how many goodies you want on your truck and what you want it to do. minum around 2000-3000g's for the engine, then your looking into drivetrain parts, axles. ect. trust me not cheap, cause a ranger drive train probably won't handle the weight and torque of a 4bt.
if you want your tranny to be ford you have 2 options, zf 5speed or a m5r2od. the zf5speed requires(in my truck) 3 inch body lift and some small modifications to the body to fit. the m5r20d is slightly smaller, at least a 2 inch body lift.
as far as i'm concerned making a 2wd ranger is kinda pointless unless you like pavement princess trucks...make it 4x4 and you'll thank yourself later
Easier power train is the ford ranger 3.0 liter international powerstroke diesel . Bolt it in swap wire harness and roll

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unfortunately in the US swapping in a foreign emissions engine is illegal, so that is not really an option. As for a 4bt, yes they will be hard to fit in a ranger and they are heavy for the suspension components. Additionally, the P-pump 4BTs are kinda hard to come by right now because of a ton of people doing swaps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts