Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the 92 series injectors do in a 53T?
I have some 9295's(90mm) and 9215's(110mm) and I was wondering how they do compared to N90's or the like. How are the timing advance rates?
When I get my motor in and running I was gonna start with N75's and run 'em until I work out the kinks, then go bigger, if (when) I think I need more power.
How about mixing and matching tips with different plunger/bodies?
Like putting the 9295 tips on my n75's (or I have n45's, n60's, n65's, ect. To mix)
Seems like I read somewhere that the 92 series injectors have too much advance built in, causing detonation.
I personally will be running a 21:1 motor with turbo rings and .003 honed out of the "N" liners, but in general, how would they run in a factory green turbo motor? Assuming I get enough air to burn the fuel of course.

· Registered
523 Posts
Intimidated has messed with a few different combinations in his 453T in his Chevy. I don't know if there would be much to gain swapping the larger nozzles onto the smaller injector body. He did it the other way around to cut back the fuel slightly and get a finer spray by using some smaller N tips on his 9A90s. When I talked to the guys at Leid they recommended the 71 series injector over the 92 series injector in a 53 series given the choice. He mentioned the 9As were pretty fuel hungry, but then again I don't suppose any of us are building these things to replace our Prius! Ha

Jason

· Registered
447 Posts
personally I like my 9a90 much better than the N80 I was using. they just seem to drive better, and the mileage is better.

I think those 110's will be junk, you should just give them to me.......

· Registered
523 Posts
What combo did you finally settle on? Was it the 9A body with the N80 or N70 tip? What kind of mileage have you been seeing with it?

Jason

· Registered
447 Posts
Agreed. If you have them, run them as is.

I swapped my N80 tips into the 9A90 assembly. I would probably not do that again unless I could test the injector afterwards. I have a random hot missfire now, I'm willing to bet its from taking apart/swapping parts in the injectors.

I just did a 1200km trip to Detroit and back [ironic] and did 18-19mpg cruising at 110-120kph.

· Registered
523 Posts
Isn't 1.490 more retarded than 1.484 or am I thinking incorrectly? I always thought some extra advance helped with cold starting. At least most all the injection pump diesels I have messed with have a cold start timing advance feature that is.

Jason

· Registered
447 Posts
Yes it is more retarded. The 53 manual shows retarded timing for cold weather, but yeah, I thought advanced timing helped with cold starting too.

It seems to make a big difference with low end torque especially with an engine that is not fully warmed up. When the engine is not fully warmed up, it really labours to pull away from a stop and you have to rev it up to make any power when its warm. With the winters we get up here I can't really run around screaming it all the time with a cold engine and on ice/snow roads. Its amazing the difference .005" makes.

· Registered
523 Posts
Interesting.. I too have noticed mine is a complete turd when I first pull away from the house even in cool (not cold enough to need to be plugged in) weather. I'm assuming the retarded timing probably helps more with the cold performance more so than the actual starting. So you typically run .005" retarded in winter, the stock 1.484" How is the extra advance of running 1.479" treating you now? Big difference up top?

Jason

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Intimidated, i see you're running 9A90's, and seem to like them, how do you think the 9215's, 9295's, or 9B90's would do?
K-Tron, could you look up the specs on those injectors, (#/size holes, mm3/1000strokes) and maybe post them up to compare say,
N90's
9A90's
9B90s
9215's
9290's
And
9295's

· Registered
447 Posts
Intimidated, i see you're running 9A90's, and seem to like them, how do you think the 9215's, 9295's, or 9B90's would do?
K-Tron, could you look up the specs on those injectors, (#/size holes, mm3/1000strokes) and maybe post them up to compare say,
N90's
9A90's 9*.0062" 85-91
9B90s 8*.0068" 85-91
9215's 7*.007" 109-117
9290's 7*.007" 85-91
And
9295's 7*.007" 90-96
All the 9*90 injectors use the same plunger and bushing so i'm assuming injection timing is going to be similar depending on pop pressure and tip design. I did have info on N injectors but seem to have lost it...

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm assuming that the more holes, the better, especially in our small(er) bore 53's?
The 9A90 vs the 9B90 for example, the 9A's are 9x .0062 and the 9B's are 8x .0068, I'm thinking the 9A's would give better atomization, for a faster, more complete burn... Unless you purposefully wanted to slow the burn time down, say, for more low end torque....?

· Detroit Section Caretaker
4,132 Posts
The fuel also needs to flow out of the holes with enough velocity to atomize well.
If you have a nozzle with lots of holes from a larger capacity injector but fitted to a more conservative injector the fuel spray might not be so fine after all. More holes (of same diameter) means easier for that fuel to flow, and easier is less atomization. You may be better off with fewer holes and a good clean spray.

On the other hand if you put a tiny nozzle on an injector that came with a larger nozzle (injector that can pump lots of fuel) I could see problems with breaking components in it, possibly blowing off the tip if the fuel can't get out fast enough.

Guess my thought on the subject is I'd stick with something real close to a stock combination (of not just stock) for an every day driver. Though nothing wrong with experimenting if you're willing to pay the consequences if it doesn't go well.

Grigg

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll leave mix and matching tips and p/b parts to the guys like Schafer, with max power in mind.
I was thinking more along the lines of which would be better, 9A90's, 9B90's, N90's, or 9295's.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not bad at all for N80's. Max of ~210hp/475 ft. Lbs? Ish.
No rush, they're not going anywhere.
I'm in Kansas City for a Skills USA Auto competition until Monday anyway.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts