Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I finally uploaded all my pics so far onto Webshots. My swap album

I do have a couple questions about stuff in there.

What is that "drain" tube for by the starter?

Should there be a seal in the NV4500 on the output shaft?

Let me know what you think so far.

Love this site :beer:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ok so I finally uploaded all my pics so far onto Webshots. My swap album

I do have a couple questions about stuff in there.

What is that "drain" tube for by the starter?

Should there be a seal in the NV4500 on the output shaft?

Let me know what you think so far.

Love this site :beer:
That tube is the crankcase breather.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey Fangoul,
Great pics!

mine just dangles, err... my breather tube on the crankcase.:D

Do you do anything special to keep your camera fairly clean?
I've started photographing my inventory and I'm already turning
my digi into a "shop cam". lol.

Keep the pics coming!
Best Regards,
George

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I kinda figured that was a breather tube of some sort. Just wasn't sure if it would dump anything nasty on the starter.

I don't really do anything special to keep the camera from getting messed up. I've got a Sony T1 that is about 3-4 years old now. It has a slider thing that goes over the lens and a big screen. I just keep it in my camera bag until I need it and try to make sure my hands are reasonably clean when I use it. Just gotta make sure I don't do something stupid like drop it in a drain pan :D (knock wood)

I'll get some more pics up the next time I get back to my parent's house to work on it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Progress from last weekend.

Well I made some progress last weekend and might have had some setbacks too. I managed to get the AC and alternator mounted up fine. I started looking at what to do for the exhaust manifold, downpipe and turbo placement. I pulled the compressor housing off and found this on the compressor wheel :eek:

I'm guessing that with that amount of oil in there along with the scoring I may need to find a replacement turbo. Anyone who's gone to a newer/bigger turbo have their stocker for sale?

Also I'm having issues with how the downpipe attaches to the turbo. The guys I got the exhaust from say that it uses a 3" v-band clamp. I measured the outlet of the turbo and it is 3". The downpipe is 3" diameter too. So are the v-band clamps sold by the tube diameter or the flange diameter? I thought flange diameter. I bought one but I think they sent me a 3.5" by mistake. At any rate I don't think this thing will connect like this.

I currently have the stock chevy low mount manifold on the engine. (sorry no pics) and I have about 3.5" between the output flange and the firewall. I have one of mooktank's manifold kits but my dad thinks we can make some crazy square elbow to make it fit with the stocker. I think it would flow like crap. So I may end up making my own manifold anyway.

New pictures start here in my album.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2670717750044352231Niouvg

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did the oil filter interfere with the AC compressor using the cummins bracket? what AC compressor did you use? Looks close. Hopefully I can use the same mount in my project!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the oil filter interfere with the AC compressor using the cummins bracket? what AC compressor did you use? Looks close. Hopefully I can use the same mount in my project!
Yeah the horizontal oil filter would hit the back of the AC compressor with that particular bracket. I've heard that if you space the compressor out you can use the Dodge vertical mount from here.

The mount works great. It gets the AC up and away from the frame real nice. I had to do a bit of fab work on the alternator mount to get it to sit nice. I guess I ended up paying about $110 for mine including shipping.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a little bit done today. I was only able to work for about an hour so I just got the remote oil filter adapter bolted back up. Also got a couple pics of my exhaust manifold.

My custom remote filter adapter:

I ended up cutting down the threaded nipple that the filter would screw onto and rethreaded it to a 7/8" since that was the largest tap available in the shop I was at.

I got the header back from Jet-Hot a while ago but haven't been able to find the time to bolt it up.

Coated with Extreme Sterling inside and out. Supposed to be good up to 1700F

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I just need to get my thesis to a point where I can justify taking a week off to work on it. I figure I should be able to get it running if I have a full week. Gotta figure out how to put the dash and front end back together too :) Been almost a year since it came apart. :(

Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey my name is doug i have a 93 k1500 suburban with the 350 engine i know yours had the 454 and our frames are diff but i am wanting to do a 4bt swap on mine and keep my stock transmission a 4le60 and i was wandering if you had any advice for me i dont really know alot about diesels but i was wandering what all i need to get to hook up this engine to my trans and what other mods will i need to do under the hood and in the cab thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts