Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I also used some special lock washers that I found at fastenal, They are a 2-piece washer that is made to slip in one direction and grip in the other, they really seemed to work well, we'll see how they do in the long haul.

Are you talking about Nord-lock washers? If you are, there is no need to worry about them coming loose. They simply dont. I've been using them on forklifts for 12+ years.

Nice work, I first considered a 6bt swap in my 94 E150, before changing my mind to a 4bt into my Explorer swap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, they were Nord-locks, I was impressed whenever I had to remove a couple of them, they seemed to hold real well, and then you just tighten them back down and they hold just as well the second time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
what u do about the oil pan clearance
I didn't have any clearance problems.

BTW My wife LOVES her new ride! So far everything is great, I do have a problem with the connectors at the VCM, whenever I let the van sit open for so long the connectors filled with water so I am going to have to take the time to dry them out and reseal them but haven't had the time yet. One other problem I have is that the torque converter is a little too loose, but I can't spend $1200 on a TC right now. I haven't got a chance to do a good mileage test on it yet, but I did check the last tank full and got 16.?? but I topped the tank off and I don't know how full my wife got the tank on the previous fill up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been on here in awhile. I had to add a compushift controller from Baumann to control the transmission, as hard as I tried it was more trouble than it was worth to try to get the shift points lower and the TC lockup working right with the factory PCM. I still have not changed the torque converter either, the stock gm converter has had about all it can take. It started out as a 1400 rpm stall, but it is quite a bit higher now, and the TC clutch has got so bad that I have had to disable the lockup on my transmission controller because the clutches slip so bad. Otherwise we love the van, the conversion was well worth the trouble, and also everything on the van works just like factory, it is not a hack job. Btw I am really happy with the Baumann OptiShift controller as well, it was easy to install(I put it under the drivers seat), easy to program, and operates well. Thanks for taking the time to read this thread, and I hope something you have seen or read will be a help to you, if anybody has any questions just ask. God bless, Jason

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, we just turned over 10,000 miles on the conversion, so I thought I would post an update. Mileage varies from 14 to 16 mpg based on simple miles driven divided by gallons at fill-up. I have a small diesel leak somewhere near the fuel filter/lift-pump area, I just haven't taken the time to look into it yet, and also it REALLY needs a torque converter but I don't have the cash to make it happen right now. Anyways, it us a great rig and was well worth the trouble of the conversion.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I saw your earlier post that quoted $1400 for a tc. Is that some triple disc billet job, or what? There are a number of torque conv. shops around here that would rebuild a stock tc for much less $ than that. Shop around. For a little more $ most will lower the stall speed. There is a thread on here somewhere that discusses the stall speed that you want for a cummins w/ 4l80e. If you need the truck to stay on the road, I bet you could get a core tc to build from a junkyard for very little $.
Matt

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Matt, $1200-1400 was the prices that I found for t/c's intended for this specific application. TCI will sell me a t/c built for a 6.5td that they say will hold up to the cummins for $600 range. That is probably the route I will go, but $600 or $1400 when you don't have it, you don't have it ;) BTW the biggest issue with the stock t/c is the clutch won't even come close to holding the torque generated by the 5.9 ... If anyone has tried a lower cost t/c that has worked out, I'm all ears :)

If someone knows how to change the title to this thread to say that the conversion is finished, feel free to update it or enlighten me on how to.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Matt, $1200-1400 was the prices that I found for t/c's intended for this specific application. TCI will sell me a t/c built for a 6.5td that they say will hold up to the cummins for $600 range. That is probably the route I will go, but $600 or $1400 when you don't have it, you don't have it ;) BTW the biggest issue with the stock t/c is the clutch won't even come close to holding the torque generated by the 5.9 ... If anyone has tried a lower cost t/c that has worked out, I'm all ears :)

If someone knows how to change the title to this thread to say that the conversion is finished, feel free to update it or enlighten me on how to.
I have a 1993 engine in my 96 Suburban and I also have the 4L80E transmission. The transmission is stock with the exception of a shift kit and my stock torque converter works great (note the transmission and torque converter has 100k on it). I have had the conversion in for 10-20k miles and lockup works great, everything does.

My engine is built a tad, I have a smaller exhaust housing, turned the pump up with a bully dog fuel pin and a set of 60-75 DDP injectors (best mod EVER) and my torque converter is still fine. I tow 8-10k with the truck pretty regularly too.

That being said, you should be able to get a stock torque converter to work in the mean time, maybe yours was bad to begin with?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update:

Well I finally got a new TC and a Transgo shift kit for the 4L80E. I hope I can get enough time in the next couple of weeks to get it installed.
I'll keep you updated on the progress.

I went with a HD 1650 stall TC from Oregon Performance Transmission.
I also got the HD reprogramming kit to remedy a sticky reverse valve, and hold the clutches better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
reviving this subject ....

I`m planning to do the 4BT or 6BT swap in a AWD 2004 chevy van ........

Id like to know if you have an EGT gauge plugged in your turbo`s base ?
The turbo being in a tight dog house, it may tend to get a high EGT ( over 1200 F ) ......

Did you have such a problem to adress ?
thanks ,

Dan

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have my EGT gauge in the exhaust manifold right before the turbo in the rear runner. I do not have any EGT problem; but I went to a lot of trouble getting good air coming in. I have all 3" aluminum intake tubing, including a custom 3" intake elbow, and no grid heater.

·
Registered
194 Posts
inspiring thread!

cannot believe a 6bt fit in the express engine bay! Just cooked my 2002 work cargo express 6.5 and considering a 4bt swap since the van is already legally a diesel. Otherwise id have to wait 10 years in my state to make a swap. Great vans, not that great stock diesel, though it did deliver 280k before it needed major repair

can you elaborate a little more on how you got the stock gauges working with the 6bt?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I just used the Chevrolet sensors in the Cummins. You will need a detailed wiring diagram of your vehicle (available through the Auto zone website), and find each sensor wire that drives the gauges, and then remove the un-needed wiring. It's a big project.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts