Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 toyota extra cab long bed pickup that i plan on keeping till the day i die. I had planned on doing a small block chevy swap, and keeping my stock 5 speed because it is an awesome transmission, but i stumbled upon the 4bts and this website a couple months ago, and I definately no longer want to put a gas guzzler into my truck. I want to put a 4bt in my truck now but know that i will not be able to retain my stock transmission due to the amount of low end torque a 4bt puts out. I definately want to use a manual transmission. This will be a long buildup for me. I will be sourcing the parts as i find them, and as i can afford them. What are some good 4x4 transmissions I can use behind a 4bt, or even ones i could convert into 4x4. Also would a np203/205 doubler t-case hold up to the torque?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I put together a Ford M5R2 mated to a GM NP205 for a 4BT swap into a 90's toyota. It worked well.

You could use any fullsize transmission. Yotas are pretty light, regardless of power there isn't much load on parts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were to get a two wheel drive four speed out of a 3/4 ton Chevy, the adapter plate wouldnt be anything too hard to find would it? And Im guessing I would want to use the chevy starter, and clutch disk, but what about the flywheel and pressure plate? Right now the trans is sitting behind a busted 6.2 (go figure), anything else I should grab? Im thinking about getting the 14 bolt rearend while im at it, and then trying to find a dana 60 front to match. The only thing is, if I get this transmission I will then have to find a divorced np205, and weld up a crossmember for it.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
If I were to get a two wheel drive four speed out of a 3/4 ton Chevy, the adapter plate wouldnt be anything too hard to find would it? And Im guessing I would want to use the chevy starter, and clutch disk, but what about the flywheel and pressure plate? Right now the trans is sitting behind a busted 6.2 (go figure), anything else I should grab? Im thinking about getting the 14 bolt rearend while im at it, and then trying to find a dana 60 front to match. The only thing is, if I get this transmission I will then have to find a divorced np205, and weld up a crossmember for it.
To use the Gm manual sm465 ? You'll need the p-30 / Cummins engine adapter ,flywheel ,starter .The manual sets up's are getting hard to find but depends on where your at as well .The clutch kit is just a std Gm 454 ,6.2 .

Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking for one to put in my 85 toyota. I was going to use the 5 speed in the truck. It is so light i figure if i am light on the foot it should live. I thank you can get a adapter to bolt a small block to one so that should work for this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts