Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have seen some awesome buildup threads and they are fun to watch and see how there project is coming.

The victim:nuke:: the 1994 dodge ram 3500 with the nv4500 in it. I got this truck at a wrecking yard they started it for me and it all looks good. the front suspension is bent up on it.

The Chosen one:jeep2:: the 1991 suburban already has one tons 4:10s 35s, 12,000 pound winch, and a six inch lift.

I will be getting into it this week. I will start by removing the drive train from the 91 sub which has the 350 TBI. Do i remove the computer then for the TBI?

Then I will remove the dodge drive train

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
the computer isn't needed with the nv4500. I took mine out and removed the entire harness feeding it and carefully cut the rubber plug around he harness and I plan on using it for my amp cable. If I can figure out how to put up pics I will. It's a fairly easy conversion.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya electrical is my biggest concern.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your speed O may also be a concern , it's a electronic pulse speed O , so may have to swap out to a autometer with a pulse gen or just pickup a older cable style and it should fit in the cluster .
If your going to use the stock transfer case then it should not be a big deal ...
You will also have to drop the fuel tank and remove the electric fuel pump , but I have seen a couple guys use the pump but the only problem was the diesel is a little more thicker and the pump burned with in a year .... but has not had a problem since he installed a new one .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a 93 dodge 205 1ton does that have a speedo cable in it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you found an NP205 from a 1991 Chev/GMC V30 it has an electronic sending unit for your speedo. I'm not sure on what it would take to mount to the 4500, but it's an option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
check out raptor transmission they had a few options for your speedometer they have cable to ele. kits of vss kits for np 205.
Later Brian

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help and yes its a 1993 dodge 205 with the 29 splines. it looks like it has a cable coming out of it and has been cut off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I got the motor trans and t-case out of the suburban. I pulled it all out in one piece.:grinpimp: I will post some pics soon. I do have a question, can i just use any motor mounts like the ones i pulled off of the chevy or are they not heavy duty enough? I thought of just using the one off the dodge but they might be buggered.

I got the ecm out of the suburban but do i just cut all the wiring out that i don't need? it doesn't look like i can disconnect in anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
the dodge will have an electric speedo too. The only wires your going to need is 1 wire that has power when the key is on and in the crank position. That wire will go to the injection pump shutoff solenoid. All the ENGINE wiring can be cut out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know pics are fun to see so i am posting some here of me taking the motor out of the sub

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the dodge will have an electric speedo too. The only wires your going to need is 1 wire that has power when the key is on and in the crank position. That wire will go to the injection pump shutoff solenoid. All the ENGINE wiring can be cut out.
Well i do need the alternater, a/c, starter, and speedo.

But I dont know how im going to hook up the A/C or the speedometer

Where can you get a cummins manual for the 94 dodge that is specific to the motor. i already have a general manual from a parts store.

Also i think my temp gauge in my suburban is broke because when i turn the key off it stays in the same place it never moves. could that be the gauge or the wire? how can you tell?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well crap I got the 205 from a 1 st gen dodge I was told it would bolt up but the t-case has a male shaft in it. :puke:Do I need a coupler or what?:eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well crap. I have been told that it is a strait bolt up the nv4500 and it looks it. is there a specific part name for it the coupler? I am thinking maybe i could get it machined. Oh man this is going to set me back time wise and money too im sure. Did it come stock or is it an after market part?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was able to take the computer harness and follow it back to the fuse box, push out the pins I didnt need and sell the motor and harness complete for much more than I could have sold just the motor for...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts