Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of my 94 GMC 1 ton ,it has a 1998 Dana 60 high pinion front axle underneath it ,and a 92 6bt cummins for power,did all the work myself.I will probably change out the 92 engine for a 97 or 98 6bt in the near future.:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Under hood shots??........OK but its not a show truck....it gets driven 50 miles a day...to and from work.
Truck was originally diesel,I kept the chev diesel radiator and pressurized expansion tank.Currently running without an engine fan or electric fans
I put the cummins up to a Dodge NV4500 5 speed,swapped in a chevy tailshaft and tailhousing onto the dodge tranny so I could use the stock chevy transfer case. Then slid the whole engine and tranny assembly back 3inches on the chassis and redrilled the crossmember holes in the frame rails.
As for engine mounts I used the stock 92 dodge engine mounts that came on the motor and fabbed chassis mounts to suit.:smile:
The solid axle conversion allows for all the room you need to put a 6bt where it belongs.No body lift,no beating on the firewall,no crazy tilt on the motor.
I'll get more photo's of specific stuff if people ask.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To mount the front springs I used ORU(off road unlimited) spring mounts.The mounts are easy to use and save a bunch of time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the best pic I have of the solid axle swap,I can take some more pics tomorrow if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
i'm thinking of doing a swap into a very similar truck k3500 sas dana44 c3500hd front springs and hangers i was thinking more 4bt but everyone says the 6bt would be better for me... but the 4bt seems to be a a simple swap how was the 6bt more fab work??? looks tight

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For a 1 ton I'd go with the 6bt,I slid the tranny crossmember back a few inches and redrilled the bolt holes ,this put the back of the motor right next to the firewall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great stuff - now if I could find that same front axle(cheap) for my 02 Dmax I'd be set
There's a guy near me that usually has a ford high pinion dana60 on hand ,I bought mine from him.He usually sells them for between $1000-$1300 depending on the condition.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Cool. Let me know if you come across a deal on one. Shipping will be a killer though. ($200+ I would imagine)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Did you have any problems with diff/oil pan clearence?

Cool swap BTW:beer:

·
Registered
89 Posts
nice job on the swap.

just curious, if this truck was originally a diesel why doesn't it have a diesel bumper?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No diff to oil pan clearance problems,doing the straight axle conversion allows the 6bt to be put farther down in the engine bay level and pushed back more towards the firewall .I didn't clearance the firewall or move my radiator.

Tim:grinpimp:

Did you have any problems with diff/oil pan clearence?

Cool swap BTW:beer:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nice job on the swap.

just curious, if this truck was originally a diesel why doesn't it have a diesel bumper?

I changed it out fore the one thats on there now

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bigtim44

Hi bigtim, Im am also thinking of doing this to my 98 K3500 crew cab, I was wondering what size tires you have on there, also if I could get some measurments to box hieght and front and rear bumper. I want the solid axle but every one Ive seen wants a 11" lift I just was MAX 6".

·
Registered
44 Posts
Under hood shots??........OK but its not a show truck....it gets driven 50 miles a day...to and from work.
Truck was originally diesel,I kept the chev diesel radiator and pressurized expansion tank.Currently running without an engine fan or electric fans
I put the cummins up to a Dodge NV4500 5 speed,swapped in a chevy tailshaft and tailhousing onto the dodge tranny so I could use the stock chevy transfer case. Then slid the whole engine and tranny assembly back 3inches on the chassis and redrilled the crossmember holes in the frame rails.
As for engine mounts I used the stock 92 dodge engine mounts that came on the motor and fabbed chassis mounts to suit.:smile:
The solid axle conversion allows for all the room you need to put a 6bt where it belongs.No body lift,no beating on the firewall,no crazy tilt on the motor.
I'll get more photo's of specific stuff if people ask.

Tim
You don't need to have a body lift, smash the firewall or have a crazy tilt on the engine for it to sit nicely in a IFS truck, its the old, if you dont believe me, ask me:) I have pics of how mine sits, looks great....Although I would like to do a Solid front axle swap, so if you had more pics of yours that would be good, Looking for a little bit of everything, mounts, steering etc etc....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts