Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 1995 12v 160hp engine made it here from California this am! Picked it up from a guy who swapped it out for a 24v and 5sp...because he needed "more power" Um..OK...that is what a fuel plate is for...oh well.

180K and the only "leaks" I can see are around the valve covers and some down by the PS pump.

I have looked and studied and looked some more over the years at these things...and to finally see a 12v in person ( I had an 06 common rail for 2 years) is amazing...soooooo simple.

Now I need to order the swap kit from here and start picking up a few other things. Need a starter / ac pump / idler pulley / intercooler / alternator / dipstick.

Here are a few pics of the engine...this first is of the "wrong hose" being used between the fuel heater and the lift pump. ( I thought I could "link" but my post count is not high enough yet...so here they are in who knows what order)

Next is of the booger welded throttle linkage....BTW...the fuel shut off solenoid boot is torn too.

Here is a pic of the truck as well.

OK...enough posting...back to the garage to admire my "New baby" ha ha ha and make a parts list for Tuesday mornings "parts call"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
its possible the wrong hose is just a stock replacement that wasn't trimmed to fit. I bought a new one and had to trim it some so it wasn't kinked. you'd think for $15 it woulda been exactly right.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PM sent.

I will try to trim it...but it looks to be a straight hose that is kinked.

KDP kit is on the way...will do that first...

I need to clean up the block some...the vacuum pump looks to be leaking. Don't need it...wish there was a way to just remove it and run the PS pump. I have Hydroboost on the truck now. Oh well...seal it up and cap the ports.

I took a look at the AFC housing and the tamper proof screw is still there...I seriously doubt that even the star wheel has been messed with. That is good.

I will purchase and install a cam plate after I get the rest of the install goodies from Tennessee Diesel...

This particular 1995 has the WH1C turbo on it...any real difference between that and the HX35? I see a turbo upgrade in the future...but just wondering if I should have my eyes open for something else..

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
PM sent.

I will try to trim it...but it looks to be a straight hose that is kinked.

KDP kit is on the way...will do that first...

I need to clean up the block some...the vacuum pump looks to be leaking. Don't need it...wish there was a way to just remove it and run the PS pump. I have Hydroboost on the truck now. Oh well...seal it up and cap the ports.

I took a look at the AFC housing and the tamper proof screw is still there...I seriously doubt that even the star wheel has been messed with. That is good.

I will purchase and install a cam plate after I get the rest of the install goodies from Tennessee Diesel...

This particular 1995 has the WH1C turbo on it...any real difference between that and the HX35? I see a turbo upgrade in the future...but just wondering if I should have my eyes open for something else..

Cummins sells the 90* hose so it's not kinked. You'll need Vac pump if your wanting your Vents ,A/C,defrost to work. The Seal kit are cheap and easy to reseal.

The Wh1c is a Hx35 Very little difference.I have been running one for 8 + years .

Scott

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cummins sells the 90* hose so it's not kinked. You'll need Vac pump if your wanting your Vents ,A/C,defrost to work. The Seal kit are cheap and easy to reseal.

The Wh1c is a Hx35 Very little difference.I have been running one for 8 + years .

Scott
Scott...will be calling you end of this week or beginning of next after I get paid...need that "no lift" crossmember and mounts for my V30, and a few other goodies.

Shouldn't need that Vac pump on the Chevy heater controls...been so long since I have had an air cond Chevy truck...not sure about that...but if you say so...

Only reason that I pointed out the kinked hose is that the Previous Owner of the engine swapped it out of his truck for a 24 valve...says he needed more power. Well no sh!t...!! ha ha ha he had a 160 horse auto engine. A cam plate / star wheel work / and new TC and or Valve body would have been better off than a 24 v swap w/ a 5 speed into a 95 Dually. Figured that the kinked hose could be causing some power loss isssues too...

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Scott...will be calling you end of this week or beginning of next after I get paid...need that "no lift" crossmember and mounts for my V30, and a few other goodies.

Shouldn't need that Vac pump on the Chevy heater controls...been so long since I have had an air cond Chevy truck...not sure about that...but if you say so...

Only reason that I pointed out the kinked hose is that the Previous Owner of the engine swapped it out of his truck for a 24 valve...says he needed more power. Well no sh!t...!! ha ha ha he had a 160 horse auto engine. A cam plate / star wheel work / and new TC and or Valve body would have been better off than a 24 v swap w/ a 5 speed into a 95 Dually. Figured that the kinked hose could be causing some power loss isssues too...
No problem ,I have them in stock .If the truck has A/C that the heater controles will need the Vac to run them.Take a look in the Pass side kick panel ,there will be a diaphragm pod the opens the vent door.

Scott

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will go an look at the stuff in the shed...like I mentioned...been forever since I had an Chevy air-truck.

Pulled the front cover off today to do the KDP and the pin does not look like it has moved at all. That is good. I will tab and then loctite the case bolts too.

That was an easy job...of course MUCH easier when the engine is NOT in a vehicle! LOL

Looks like the front seal was leaking a bit too...not bad though..

JIm

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Jim,

It's no different than a Tahoe,burb or truck.

Scott
That was not me Scott...unless his name is Jim too! I got the 2wd trans and all the goodies on a pallet fromt he shipper last night. Will open the package and see how this clutch looks and the trans too.

had to pay the house payment...so there went my $$ for the adapters...BUT I did just pick up a new job so the $$ will be coming.

Jim

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
That was not me Scott...unless his name is Jim too! I got the 2wd trans and all the goodies on a pallet fromt he shipper last night. Will open the package and see how this clutch looks and the trans too.

had to pay the house payment...so there went my $$ for the adapters...BUT I did just pick up a new job so the $$ will be coming.

Jim
I was say Sorry for responding to his post in your thread.

Scott

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok...back at this...been posting in various other posts about my swap and have been acquiring the parts etc...

I am 2 weeks away from pulling the 350 and sm465 and dropping in the 95 cummins and nv4500 in.

Ordered the Con OFE clutch from Scott here on the board...just came today...the 'brown santa' arrived with this!

nice sturdy box

foam packed and had to cut it open...

Instructions manual plus the t-out bearing and alignment tool. I already have the 13" flywheel from the tranny purchase...previous owner had smoked an OFE and I got the trans / flywheel etc...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The brown santa has been busy with the deliveries here.

This is the AA adapter for the long stick out 205 input to the nv4500

Here is the PA Performance alternator 136 amp. This is a one wire unit...no external regulator needed.

This is the elusive pressure plate to flywheel bolt. 8 are needed and wouldn't ya figure that the DEALER only had 2 in stock. The other 6 will be here today.

Here is another pic of the KDP...mine had not moved.

I tapped it in the hole a bit farther and then tabbed it. Put loctite on the other case bolts as well.

I removed the fuel heater and pre-screen thingy and this is the old vs the new one. There was a lil rust in the fuel bowl.

More packages from the brown santa. Here is a 2nd gen intercooler.

I will say that I needed to get a few bolts for the water inlet and the lower alternator mount. I DID talk with Scott...and had a list of things to purchase...but thought...what the heck...work is keeping me busy...I'll just run down to the KW dealer and get the parts. What a pain in the A$$. The guys there were real helpful...but do not do much with the 5.9. They have the Cummins quick serve...but still all parts needed to come from Denver. Tough part was getting an ESN for a 5sp truck. My engine is from an Auto. They had no way of looking up the flywheel bolts other than an ESN. I finally found one by googling on my phone at the parts desk. Between the time I spent at the dealer and the KW place...it was about 2 hrs. Not that productive of my time. I honestly think that a finding a person/shop that has done this in the past and has those numbers memorized or on a sticky right next to the monitor is money ahead.

I have Scotts engine mounts sitting in the garage...and we are just around the corner from pulling the tbi 350 and doing the swap, 3 days away to be exact. More pix to come.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here are some part numbers for those that are doing a google search or search here on the 4bt site

Starter bolts (3) required 3903834

Lower alternator mount NUT (1) 3902662

Lower alternator mount BOLT (1) 3914407

Water inlet (lower) There are 3 bolts listed on the quick serve...each is a different length...my engine only had 2 of them. I bought all three...which are all 3 different part numbers...BUT one of them is too long. Humm.

The top bolt is 3902460

The bolt on the left is 3903112

The bolt on the right is 3903464 (this is the one that is too long) Not sure if I am supposed to have some other bracket there or not. Looking at the quick serve photo I printed out...does not look like it. Oh well. One of the bolts that came with the engine there will work fine.

Washers for the flywheel to crank bolts (8) required...came in a bag of 8 with the part number 3900269.

Again...a good parts man/dealer would have this info at the ready...or a 50 dollar subscription to quickserve...or just call CrewCab! LOL Damn lessons I learn!! ha ha ha

EDIT -

The pressure plate to Flywheel botls are from the dealer and the part number is 6034555. (8) required. They call them 'clutch cover' bolts. Invoice says 'bolt hex'.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bolted up the driver side engine mount. Need to paint it still...and track down some bolts for the other side. The PO left the stock 2nd gen engine mounts with the engine...BUT the bolts are wrong.

Another shot of the mount.

Off to get paint and some bolts. Damn Metrics...Ihave tons of SAE...and nada on the metric.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chrome don't get ya home...but I figured I would try my hand at polishing up the valve covers. Not a bad task...just time consuming.

Here is one sitting on top of the painted ones.

Not sure mine are as shiny as some here...saw a thread on a 4bt that was blue and all detailed out, looked nice...just can't find that thread...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today was the day...in with the out and prepare for the new. had 5 people on hand with the removal of the front clip and all things associated with the 350/sm465/np205. Got the old engine crossmember removed and CrewCab's crossmember bolted in. Need to clean up the wiring, and degrease and paint the frame rails...might as well do it while I have the access.

Hardest part so far was removing the stock crossmember.

Still need to do the fuel lines and a few other things tomorrow...like bolt the engine and trans together...and then slide it in. Got another group of guys coming tomorrow for the work party...Hope to get it all set and bolted in.

Took some pictures...will upload them tomorrow...

Jim

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well...9 hrs or work yesterday to remove all the crap and then about 5 hrs today to install the new engine. it is there...it is in...and there is still a TON of work to do! Pretty excited though. No major hassles overall, getting the rivets out of the factory engine cross member was a bit of a pain, finding where to use the BFH on the firewall, and then finding out that my bell housing had a stripped hole for the transmission bolt. Minor things to say the least.

Here are some pix.

Front clip off...

TBI 350 waiting to be released from its home...

Poser shot from the guys in my 4x4 club...Matt, Mike and Bob.

Cummins in wait

Empty engine bay and pic of the cross member

Bolts and rivet removal to take the factory cross member out

Test fit of Crewcab;s crossmember

That is all I have for pictures uploaded for tonight. Will do some more in the am. need to track down some parts. Need an NON ac belt, need a new throttle cable, a ton of other lil things. Still need to clean up a few areas in the engine compartment ans shoot some rattle can black...might as well do it while I can get in there.

Also need to clearance the rear tail shaft of the 4500...even with the advance adapters spacer plate...need to grind out a bit to make the 205 linkage get full travel. I have NO idea on a t-case shifter...will have to think about that a bit.

Jim

1 - 20 of 514 Posts