Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I bought my Diesel Excursion my Suburban has been just sitting in my driveway. I have thought about putting a cummins in it ever since I owned it, and it would make so much more fun to drive.

It's a 95' 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 99' 350 w/4l80e trans.....9mpg if I am lucky.

If I buy a bread truck 4bt with the Th400 adapter shouldnt it bolt up to my 4l80? same bolt pattern?

I know that I will need engine mounts and think I have found them but what about the electronics, speedo, rpms, tranny what can i do to make those work?

I figure I might need a 3in suspension lift to clear the oil pan....what other things do I need to think about?

SS

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ever since I bought my Diesel Excursion my Suburban has been just sitting in my driveway. I have thought about putting a cummins in it ever since I owned it, and it would make so much more fun to drive.

It's a 95' 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 99' 350 w/4l80e trans.....9mpg if I am lucky.

If I buy a bread truck 4bt with the Th400 adapter shouldnt it bolt up to my 4l80? same bolt pattern?

I know that I will need engine mounts and think I have found them but what about the electronics, speedo, rpms, tranny what can i do to make those work?

I figure I might need a 3in suspension lift to clear the oil pan....what other things do I need to think about?

SS
If you get a 4BT with GM adapters it will bolt up to your 4L80e even the 4BT flexplate will bolt up. To make your transmission work it will require a stand alone computer either by TCI or power control solutions(.com)

I have put a 4BT in a 93' Suburban, its a half ton with stock lift. Because of that; I had to notch the oil pant to clear the 4WD third member. The 4BT installed was from a chevy van with the GM adapters. When it came to bolting in the 4BT, the stock frame mounts were adequate and a notch was cut out to accomdate the 4BT engine mount stud...no welding. Using the engine mounts that came with the 4BT the engine sits a little high but still clears the hood. I put spacers under the transmission mount to raise the trans/transfer case about an 1" to help level out the engine because it was tilting back little too much for me.

The transmission was swapped from a 4l60E to a 700R4 because I did not want to deal with computer issues.

Other then that it will look completely stock from the outside and am very close to starting it.

I have a photo album to email if you want to check out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts