Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for all the recommendations for hoses. Hopefully I will have this thing running in the next 4 weeks.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Sounds like you're getting everything in order. You didn't mention what you plan to do on brake booster operation.

·
Registered
715 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sounds like you're getting everything in order. You didn't mention what you plan to do on brake booster operation.
I haven't had very good luck with Ford Hydro boost systems on past trucks of mine so I am going to use an electric vacuum pump for now especially since my brake booster is new.

The only other hang up I see at the moment is I installed a Cobra Head 90 on my turbo but it's still touching the oil filter. I am unsure if this will work long term and if not I am thinking I may need to do a remote oil filter system but I would really like to avoid that.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
This is the fitting that was in my Saginaw Pump.
I'm thinking it would be this style

But could be this style as well

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm thinking it would be this style

But could be this style as well

I just ordered three different types. Hopefully one fits and I can send the others back.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
If your power steering pump is from a 4bt or a Dodge Cummins the line fitting is supposed to be M16x1.50. The Ford power steering pump used on that year Bronco has M16x1.50. They are the same. The main difference is the Cummins outlet is on the back and the Ford is on the side so you'd need a 90 deg M16x1.50 male to M16x1.50 female to use the stock Ford hose. You might double check that but I believe I'm correct.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I haven't had very good luck with Ford Hydro boost systems on past trucks of mine so I am going to use an electric vacuum pump for now especially since my brake booster is new.

The only other hang up I see at the moment is I installed a Cobra Head 90 on my turbo but it's still touching the oil filter. I am unsure if this will work long term and if not I am thinking I may need to do a remote oil filter system but I would really like to avoid that.
Not sure what kind of electric vacuum pump u have but i've never heard of anyone being happy with an electric one. Everyone reports that u get two brake applications and then it's out of vacuum. I've used a few chevy hydro boost systems over the years and had good luck. Not sure if those are actually different than the ford ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
If your power steering pump is from a 4bt or a Dodge Cummins the line fitting is supposed to be M16x1.50. The Ford power steering pump used on that year Bronco has M16x1.50. They are the same. The main difference is the Cummins outlet is on the back and the Ford is on the side so you'd need a 90 deg M16x1.50 male to M16x1.50 female to use the stock Ford hose. You might double check that but I believe I'm correct.
I have an older Saginaw, not exactly sure what year it is but the M16x1.5 doesn't fit as I have already tried that. Thanks though!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not sure what kind of electric vacuum pump u have but i've never heard of anyone being happy with an electric one. Everyone reports that u get two brake applications and then it's out of vacuum. I've used a few chevy hydro boost systems over the years and had good luck. Not sure if those are actually different than the ford ones.
I don't have one yet, still searching and was planning on putting in a large reservoir tank as well. I am a general contractor and have owned lots of trucks over the years. My Ford's have all had leaky Hydro boosts and many have failed. My Rams and Chevy's have never had a problem. Since I need vacuum for my hvac and cruise control I will start with that for the brakes and can always switch to Hydro later.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am going to run the stock Dodge vacuum pump and PS setup for a while then see if I need to add hydroboost later. I know that for the Ford HVAC system to work you need vacuum so...may as well give it a shot.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Curious, is you Saginaw PS pump mounted on a Cummins adapter plate? Those pumps have been used by Dodge, Ford, and GM over the years. I checked the Dodges all the way back to the beginning of the Cummins and they all show M16x1.50. I check GM models and they come up the same. The Ford ones are kind of rare and go way back. Don't really know what you have. Can you measure that pipe thread that was in the pump? The Cummins was used in some Ford E350 vans and that one may have been different. Early Ford pumps seem to be 5/8x18 thread but don't know about the ones on the 4bt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Curious, is you Saginaw PS pump mounted on a Cummins adapter plate? Those pumps have been used by Dodge, Ford, and GM over the years. I checked the Dodges all the way back to the beginning of the Cummins and they all show M16x1.50. I check GM models and they come up the same. The Ford ones are kind of rare and go way back. Don't really know what you have. Can you measure that pipe thread that was in the pump? The Cummins was used in some Ford E350 vans and that one may have been different. Early Ford pumps seem to be 5/8x18 thread but don't know about the ones on the 4bt.

I am still learning as I go on this build so I don't know the answer to that but here is a pic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Char, you were correct. I ordered several adapters and the one that worked was the M16x1.5. Apparently the other fittings I had received from the parts store were 5/8x18. Anyway got a line fabbed up tonight and installed, one step closer to getting this running!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got the ZF5 and transfer case put in tonight. There aren't any driveshafts shops in my town, does anyone have an online recommendation?

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Glad you got the power steering worked out. The 5/8x18 came on some older model Fords but everything in recent times has been metric.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts