Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it's finally happening. I've wanted a 5 speed swap almost as long as I've had the truck, I never was a big fan of the ttb, and when I discovered the 4bt I decided I had to have one. Finding all of this locally for a decent price was difficult, but I think I made out alright. Subject of the swap is my first vehicle, a basically all stock 95 Bronco with a tired 5.0 e4od in need of a rustoration.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

Heart of the transplant, a 4bt with 1,200 hours from what I believe was a Pettibone C8000 Telehandler, picked the motor up for $2000. Heres a little test run after figuring out the starter and fuel shutoff solenoid were 24 volt. That had me scratching my head for a bit.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Personal protective equipment Wood Machine

Adapter, starter spacer & flywheel from a ford 4bt was pricey, but cheaper then any online options and considering the decent price I think I got for the engine I ate it. Drove for these for $1000. A week later another set shows up in my town for $600. 🤦‍♂️ Oh well, the parts hunt continued.
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

Couldn't decide on the tranny, so FB market decided for me with a zf5 s5-47 from a 5.8 f250, picked it up the day it was listed. Trans, tcase, front driveshaft, & pedals for $600. Came with clutch and line but I will be putting new ones in.
I was planning on rebuilding the ttb and holding out for one tons, but plans change, I wound up with a high pinion dana 44 from a 79 f150, everything there except the calipers for $400, I believe it has 3.50 gears, that'll have to change to match the 4.10 rear. 4" front springs & rear blocks until I get new leafs or do a shackle flip, undecided between 33s or 35s, leaning towards 35s. Brake upgrades will be tbird calipers, f350 wheel cylinders, 1 ton master & booster.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Machine

With most parts in hand I started changing some things around on the engine, flat intake plate & 12 valve intake heater with a straight intake horn, 90° reducer intake elbow, exhaust for a charge pipe, center dump manifold with the turbo up top, modified drain tube, block heater, mustang alternator with 8 rib pulley on a cummins ford alternator bracket & lower mount I made, 7.3 idi starter, 12 valve vacuum & power steering pump combo with a support brace I made, my take on the killer dowel pin fix, (the pin was working its way out, scary!!) I had to take off the oil fill on the side of the block and I made a plate and used some gasket maker to block it off, oil fill in the front valve cover now. Probably could've got a freeze plug for it instead. I changed all the normal gaskets and seals while it was out, hopefully it barely leaks like it was, i couldn't believe how clean it actually was.
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Electric generator

Originally, I was hoping to find the ford breadvan mounts and use the 80-86 inline 6 f150 motor mount plates but I couldn't find the breadvan mounts, not many of them left. There isn't many aftermarket options and the few are very expensive, I decided on going with a set of obs ford diesel motor mount plates and making the brackets for the engine. One day I was perusing ebay listings and actually found a set of the 45° ford 4bt motor mount brackets for $150. Worth the price in my opinion, saves me the hassle of stabbing the 800 something pound engine in and out to make mounts. Then I found a set of the 80-86 inline 6 engine perches. I plan to use the drivers side inline 6 perch with the passenger side diesel perch, I saw this done by someone else once and wanted to try it since I have both sets.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Tire Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Nice build. I think I would have held out for the one ton axles. Why red paint? Ford engines are blue. Lol. It’s going to be a killer truck. Sub’d

Where you located?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice build. I think I would have held out for the one ton axles. Why red paint? Ford engines are blue. Lol. It’s going to be a killer truck. Sub’d

Where you located?
There's a few reasons I decided on staying half ton, biggest being cost, I have 4.10 gears in the rear with a locker already, and I don't plan to do any major wheeling with the truck or add a ton of power to it, but we all know how that goes. I almost painted the engine blue! Well, I almost didn't paint it at all too. Went with "ford red" since the trucks already red, definitely not a match but I've seen some cummins in a similar red and thought it'll fit the truck better. I'm in York PA, gonna have to find some trails out here soon.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Small update, engine is painted. Reds a bit brighter than I expected, but I like it!
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt

Valve covers, pulleys, charge pipe, engine perches.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas

Motor mount brackets.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Bicycle part

Alternator bracket & the lower mount, as well as the support brace for the vacuum/ps pump combo. Ran outta paint so I had to buy a whole nother can for just these.
Red Material property Tire Font Wood

My dad doing his best to cover my blotchy paint job. 😆
Jeans Wood Table Engineering Flooring

· Registered
366 Posts
Nothing wrong with red. Cummins standard color is red and it is bright. Back in the day when the 4bt was being built they came in black or tan. Here's what the newer models look like.
View attachment 134613
The Cummins became RED when the moved operations to RED CHINA....around 2007.

Reactions: The 95 Bronco

· Registered
1,031 Posts
There's a few reasons I decided on staying half ton, biggest being cost, I have 4.10 gears in the rear with a locker already, and I don't plan to do any major wheeling with the truck or add a ton of power to it, but we all know how that goes. I almost painted the engine blue! Well, I almost didn't paint it at all too. Went with "ford red" since the trucks already red, definitely not a match but I've seen some cummins in a similar red and thought it'll fit the truck better. I'm in York PA, gonna have to find some trails out here soon.
I use to live in Lancaster. Lots of good trails along the power lines. Red looks fine.

· Registered
2002 Dodge 1500 4x4 with 4BT MT
51 Posts
Are you doing anything to the engine? 1,200 hours seems low for a 4BT. The deeper I get into mine I am starting to think I have over 3x that. You did well to find the pieces and parts for those prices!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you doing anything to the engine? 1,200 hours seems low for a 4BT. The deeper I get into mine I am starting to think I have over 3x that. You did well to find the pieces and parts for those prices!
I couldn't believe that's all it had on it, the guy said it was a military forklift so I guess they didn't use it much. I changed all the basic gaskets and seals, I'm not digging into it any more if I don't have to. Turbo upgrade may be in it's future, hx30w if I can find one cheap. I had to drive some good distances for the parts, some people were willing to bargain so that helped, never hurts to ask lol.

· Registered
13,454 Posts
Subrutus, don't think you'll find Cummins red paint associated with China. That paint known a Cummins Apex Red or Cummins ISX Red is part 3163075. The paint is a North American formulation and spray cans say made in the USA. Also, darn expensive stuff. 12 oz spray can runs in the $40-50 range. That's only about $450 per gallon. LOL. All the Chinese Cummins engines I've seen imported have been black.

95Bronco, is you plan on a turbo upgrade which I would agree with, need to be sure an have an intercooler. Beware of cheap HX30W turbos. Tons of those on the market but they are all clones and most don't have the best reputation compared to the genuine item. A new 44mm version will probably cost in the $600-800 range and a 46mm Super more like $800-1000. That is still way cheaper than going down to the Cummins store and buying one. I saw the engine still has the ID plate. What is it's serial number? One thing that will be a bit different on that industrial engine is the injection pump does not have the device to vary fueling based on boost level. She's going full out all the time which won't give quite as good fuel mileage as a road model. If you want to go for a taller oil dip stick I can give you the part numbers for that. That short stick might be hard to reach in an engine bay. Here's one dip stick that is rear mounted. The was another one common on road engines that brings the stick to the front of the engine. I can also find you those part if you wanted to go that route.

Attachments

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Subrutus, don't think you'll find Cummins red paint associated with China. That paint known a Cummins Apex Red or Cummins ISX Red is part 3163075. The paint is a North American formulation and spray cans say made in the USA. Also, darn expensive stuff. 12 oz spray can runs in the $40-50 range. That's only about $450 per gallon. LOL. All the Chinese Cummins engines I've seen imported have been black.

95Bronco, is you plan on a turbo upgrade which I would agree with, need to be sure an have an intercooler. Beware of cheap HX30W turbos. Tons of those on the market but they are all clones and most don't have the best reputation compared to the genuine item. A new 44mm version will probably cost in the $600-800 range and a 46mm Super more like $800-1000. That is still way cheaper than going down to the Cummins store and buying one. I saw the engine still has the ID plate. What is it's serial number? One thing that will be a bit different on that industrial engine is the injection pump does not have the device to vary fueling based on boost level. She's going full out all the time which won't give quite as good fuel mileage as a road model. If you want to go for a taller oil dip stick I can give you the part numbers for that. That short stick might be hard to reach in an engine bay. Here's one dip stick that is rear mounted. The was another one common on road engines that brings the stick to the front of the engine. I can also find you those part if you wanted to go that route.
I see a lot of used 4bts from china in red, all the new cummins I see at work are in red, I used "ford red" tractor paint, its actually a pretty decent match to the cummins paint, a smidge brighter than the baldwin filters. I'd love to have the part # for the dipstick tube & stick that brings it up to the front of the engine, I did a search before but couldn't find anything definitive, I decided on living with the stubby one. Turbo will likely be a used legit holset, I've heard horror stories of immitation versions, and the upgrade will include intercooling, hence why I used the intake boot I did, that'll make it easier to plumb. I'm aware the injection pump doesn't have the air/fuel control that others have, its been a concern from the start. Worst comes to worst I'll find a pump that has one and stick that on. Heres the engine tag. CPL appears to be 0730, date of manf is 6/15/88.
Automotive tire Tread Wood Tire Bumper

· Registered
366 Posts
I'll check my old records, perhaps it was just the LOGO that went RED, but I'm still thinking 2007 was the all RED year...

· Registered
13,454 Posts
OK, you ESN had a build date of June 15, 1988 at the Consolidated Diesel plant in Rocky Mt., NC. That is where most of the 4bt's we see were built. Your current injection pump 3908183 shows a primary use in non certified Marine engines but was also used in Case industrial equipment. That yellow paint sort of says Case. The engine model number is BT3.9P.DR(100) whatever the heck that means. It has an H1C turbo which is common on the 4bt. It has that odd ball fan mount that has no replaceable bearing. Never have figured out how that thing works. Drawing don't show any grease fittings. The exhaust manifold on your engine is not the one it came with. The original was manifold 3901919 and the turbo was mounted in the reversed position to what it is now which was very common on industrial engines with vertical exhaust pipes. Your manifold 3901635 was a common on also and one often found on Ford road engines. Your engine has the dual fuel filters which may be a problem with the dip stick. Those can be turned to get them out of the way. The front access dip stick is shown in this drawing.
Font Art Auto part Drawing Line art

The part numbers are as follows:
1. 3909395 Spring Hose Clamp
2. 3900240 M8x1.25 Hex Nut
3. 3900629 M8x1.25x16mm Flange Head Bolt
4. 3900955 Expansion Plug (you already have this)
5. 3905800 Oil Gauge Tube
6. 3905802 Oil Gauge Tube End
7. 5269589 Oil Tube Block Insert (you already have this)
8. 3905803 Tube Brace
9. 3907679 Dip Stick

Most places sell the dip stick for around $60 but here's one you might check for $14.52. 3907679 | Cummins Dip Stick Some places charge $30 shipping for that dumb thing. The killer in that setup is the tube. Cummins sells it for $212.44. Ouch! You'll have to shop a little. Around $190 was about the cheapest I found. Some were over $300.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, you ESN had a build date of June 15, 1988 at the Consolidated Diesel plant in Rocky Mt., NC. That is where most of the 4bt's we see were built. Your current injection pump 3908183 shows a primary use in non certified Marine engines but was also used in Case industrial equipment. That yellow paint sort of says Case. The engine model number is BT3.9P.DR(100) whatever the heck that means. It has an H1C turbo which is common on the 4bt. It has that odd ball fan mount that has no replaceable bearing. Never have figured out how that thing works. Drawing don't show any grease fittings. The exhaust manifold on your engine is not the one it came with. The original was manifold 3901919 and the turbo was mounted in the reversed position to what it is now which was very common on industrial engines with vertical exhaust pipes. Your manifold 3901635 was a common on also and one often found on Ford road engines. Your engine has the dual fuel filters which may be a problem with the dip stick. Those can be turned to get them out of the way. The front access dip stick is shown in this drawing.
View attachment 134656
The part numbers are as follows:
3. 3900629 M8x1.25x16mm Flange Head Bolt
4. 3900955 Expansion Plug (you already have this)
5. 3905800 Oil Gauge Tube
8. 3905803 Tube Brace
9. 3907679 Dip Stick

Most places sell the dip stick for around $60 but here's one you might check for $14.52. 3907679 | Cummins Dip Stick Some places charge $30 shipping for that dumb thing. The killer in that setup is the tube. Cummins sells it for $212.44. Ouch! You'll have to shop a little. Around $190 was about the cheapest I found. Some were over $300.
Thanks for the info! That price on the tube is nuts. I'm saving those part numbers, maybe one day I'll get tired of climbing in the engine bay to check the oil and shell out the 200 bucks, or I'll try and make something. I didn't even think about trying to move the dual filters, I figured there was a slot of some sorts it fit into, glad to know.

· Registered
13,454 Posts
No, those dual filters can be clocked to different positions. They were never on a road engine so the issue of dipstick interference never arose. Don't believe the tall rear dipstick option is quite as pricey as the front one. Just for your files here's the part numbers for it.
Map Slope Font Parallel Line art

3. 3925883 M8x1.25x16mm Flange Head Bolt
4. 3900955 Expansion Plug ( you already have this)
5. 3905799 Oil Gauge Tube
8. 3905804 Tube Brace
9. 3933364 Dip Stick
Like on the other one, the dip stick tube is expensive. $136.03 from Cummins but I found this listing on Amazon for $15. https://www.amazon.com/dipstick-3905799-cummins-diesel-engine/dp/B07F39VV96 I believe that's coming out of China because the shipping is $29.80. Little bit of price markup here in the USA. LOL.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, those dual filters can be clocked to different positions. They were never on a road engine so the issue of dipstick interference never arose. Don't believe the tall rear dipstick option is quite as pricey as the front one. Just for your files here's the part numbers for it.
View attachment 134683
3. 3925883 M8x1.25x16mm Flange Head Bolt
4. 3900955 Expansion Plug ( you already have this)
5. 3905799 Oil Gauge Tube
8. 3905804 Tube Brace
9. 3933364 Dip Stick
Like on the other one, the dip stick tube is expensive. $136.03 from Cummins but I found this listing on Amazon for $15. https://www.amazon.com/dipstick-3905799-cummins-diesel-engine/dp/B07F39VV96 I believe that's coming out of China because the shipping is $29.80. Little bit of price markup here in the USA. LOL.
Maybe I'll just clock the filters forward and try using that instead, not a bad price in comparison even with the shipping, lol. My only concern then is it may be too far back, guess I'll have to wait and see.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been looking at doing the same exact swap. Already have the 4bt with ford adapter, zf5, and dana 44 solid axle. Just need a worn out bronco. Here's my only issue, EMISSIONS!
I called before dumping the money on this swap and they said all I have to do is request to change the fuel to diesel on the registration and I won't need emissions inspections, also mines a 95, probably shouldn't get a 96, they might have different rules being OBD2. Another thing I've heard is the engine needs to be newer then the vehicle you're putting it in.

· Registered
77 Posts
I called before dumping the money on this swap and they said all I have to do is request to change the fuel to diesel on the registration and I won't need emissions inspections, also mines a 95, probably shouldn't get a 96, they might have different rules being OBD2. Another thing I've heard is the engine needs to be newer then the vehicle you're putting it in.
In CA I can't do much of anything. I'm pretty much stuck looking for a 75 or earlier vehicle. I have a couple obs ford's now and I'm familiar with them and have all the parts for the swap but am stuck for now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts