Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I had a electronic 4l80e trans now I have a 47re trans in. My question is what wires do I need to use? I do have a ats standalone comp for the 47re but other wires might I need for the burban?
I am also tring to figure out what makes the gear selector work. Is that part of the black box on the side of the trans or is it the pin connector?

thanks joe

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update

Well I got most of it I think. I have a little black box that is on the side of the 4l80e trans that makes the indicator and the brake safety switch work. Now I have to figure out how to make that work with the 47re trans.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you know how the shift indicator works? Is it only one wire or many, what color, where do they come from. I have same kind of project, but I don´t have my 4l80 anymore, i would like to get the indicator work too. You would´nt hapen to have pictures?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
hmm i went the opposite way about this...

I don't have access to a 47RE, but on the 46RE there is a transmission range sensor on the transmission. it is a cam-operated device mounted just below where the shifter arm mounts. It's about 1.5"x1.5"x.5".

pinout with latch on top from left to right:

1: ignition switched power
2: transmission range sensor mux
3: -
4: backup lamp feed
5: 5V range sensor supply
6: park/neutral safety switch.

i have no clue how your gear indicator works, but, the range sensor mux is very similar to a potentiometer output. I sort of have mine working using a dakota digital gear selection sender...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to get some pics for you. The 4l80e have a box that goes on the side that has to connector that runs to it. How it works is it sits on the shaft where the gears change and somehow this box/switch works inside. I would love to see how the dodge box looks on the trans.

thanks joe

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will have to get some pics for you. The 4l80e have a box that goes on the side that has to connector that runs to it. How it works is it sits on the shaft where the gears change and somehow this box/switch works inside. I would love to see how the dodge box looks on the trans.

thanks joe
Pics would be great, it´s always easyer to understand with pictures. I would love to see the dodge box too since in my 47re dont have any kind of box there.:confused: All i have is 8 pin connector, that goes like this:
1. trans relay
2. 5 volts
3. ground
4. gov.pressure sensor
5. gov.pressure solenoid
6. 3-4 shift solenoid
7. tcc solenoid
8. trans temp

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
hmm, it may be different from year to year, my 46RE is a 2001. I have a digital readout on my dash for the transmission position. early models had a mechanical readout and may have worked differently.

Ultimately it may be easyer to take out the stock readout and put in an aftermarket one like the dakota digital readout. The dakota digital sender is programable and gives you 12V or GND for each gear to control a light or whatever you want to use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yeah, you might be right, for 100$ it might be worth it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm, it may be different from year to year, my 46RE is a 2001. I have a digital readout on my dash for the transmission position. early models had a mechanical readout and may have worked differently.

Ultimately it may be easyer to take out the stock readout and put in an aftermarket one like the dakota digital readout. The dakota digital sender is programable and gives you 12V or GND for each gear to control a light or whatever you want to use.
Do you have a part number for this? Or where can I get this at?

thanks joe

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check out their web site: www.dakotadigital.com
it´s under automotive accessories

The chevy unit will be hard to fit to dodge tranny because the kickdown lever. maybe some sort of linkage could work..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The 3 prong is a stock nuetral saftey switch for the starter to engage.

Not sure how that will acually work though for my situation.
That's mainly what I used the Dakota Digital sender for, my display has never worked right. The NSS functions and the reverse lights.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the burban? That's what i used to figure out what wires to tap into to get the starter to work with the key.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts