Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couldn't have done the job without the Powermax XP 30 plasma.. Awesome lil machine, even cut through the torsion bars :massey:

2nd pic shows the Burb without all of its IFS crap. The d60 is sitting under the front for measurements and clearance of the links. Purchased a ruff stuff 3 link kit with panhard bar, and also 1 ton Y steering kit with DOM.

3rd pic shows the start of the right side frame rail getting cut off... yes cut off... upper 3 link bar wouldn't clear the frame (frame kicks in at the firewall)

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
if you are going to 4 link that front for trail running i would push that axle out front about 6 inches or so and trim out the front fender and bumper...looks like you have some serious wheels.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you are going to 4 link that front for trail running i would push that axle out front about 6 inches or so and trim out the front fender and bumper...looks like you have some serious wheels.....
I went with a 3 link/panhard setup. I will be towing and cruising some trails from time to time..The axle is pushed forward about 5 inches and i'm running a 1 piece fiberglass conversion (06 chevy style) from Trailer Products in Hemet, Ca.. will be posting a lot more pics over the next few weeks as long as my internet is ok.. (currently deployed) stay tuned

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2" .250 wall DOM for the Links with 1-1/4" heims.

Start of the frame rail. needed the engine to cycle the axle to look at spacing/clearance.

Donor truck 96 Cummins with 280,000 on the clock. Got it from colorado and it runs great (completely stock) .

FYI Don't try picking the house up with a Harbor Freight Hoist... lol we didn't notice the truck was bottomed out on the house (it was 4 am) and we were almost crushed when the hoist started bending.... it was dropping quick and we didn't have a back up hoist so we busted out the plasma and cut everything out of the way... good times.

Took the hoist to harbor freight the next day and warrantied it.. they just stared at me.. haha

We figured out the weak point where it bent and plated it in with some scrap 3/16

Attachments

·
Registered
11,262 Posts
Yeah, when they say 2 ton hoist, they probably never tried picking up a 1100 lb Cummins with it. Looks like it turned that other one into a pretzel. That brace you made for the new one looks a lot better. If a person were to take one of those and use it as a pattern and make it out of 1/4" wall tubing, it would probably lift the whole truck as long as the hydraulic cylinder didn't blow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
axle cycle at bump.

made some fish plates out of 3/16 to tie in the original frame. Had to wait a few days for the wind to die down enough to burn it in.. damn desert

Templets for the engine mounts compliments of miller high life.
Pics of passenger and driver tacked in place
Will be running the Prothane inserts in the mounts..

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lower radiator mount was simple using the stock dodge radiator. Took a flat piece of 10 gauge and drilled 2 holes for the rubber mounts to sit in.. will be posting pics on how the upper mounts were done..

Bending 2" .250 wall DOM is no joke. bent 2- 8ton air rams (SWAG Attachment) . Ended up bending it by hand, 8 ft tube, 2 guys and some beer of course.. JD2 model 3 bender
Cut out the frame rails and welded in some 2" DOM tubes to mount the shock hoops on.

Picked up 2- 16" king coilovers brand new from King. :D
Used some FOA's for mock up

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turbo oulet flange to the intercooler was hitting the shock hoop so we needed to trim 2 inches off it...
We also ran into a clearance problem when we set the intercooler in place.. It was running directly into the 2" tube stub off the frame for the shock hoop. We chopped it up and Tig welded it so it had a downward angle to clear the tube

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bent some tube for the radiator intercooler cooler support brackets you can see in the 3rd pic.
Lost the pic that i had showing them installed (they get 2 hose clamps per side) ill see if my buddy can snap some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TIG welding up some stubs for the hood attachments.
Built the frame for the hood and installed it
I'm missing alot of pictures so i will fill them in when i can get ahold of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Flexin

Here is a flexed pic i forgot to add. On the hunt for 39"- 40" tires without taking a loan out.. lol... it tucks 37's nicely with room for 40's .. I can't wait to work on this thing again and drive it. I will be posting a list of things that still need to be finished/figured out soon.
Any helpful input is appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
11,262 Posts
Great work. Wondered if you could have just flipped the intercooler upside down and cleared the shock hoops. I'd say the framing looks reasonably strong unless you run into a tank. LOL.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts