Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am going to use a 47 re transmisson and I was told if I went with a 47hr trans I could use a 241hd dodge transfer and split the chevy and dodge transfer case in have and use the dodge for the front half and use my 95 chevy case for the back. I also have 2 sensors on my transfer case and not sure what they do.

Now since I am going with a 47re trans the newer the better hopefully I can get a 00 or a 01 since they are the newest years or the 47re. Anyhow I am wondering what about the transfer case now? Can I use a older one 94-96 241hd or do I need to use a 97-01 transfer case? I know I still need to split the 2 apart and make a hybrid case. I just want to make sure I am going in the right direction.

1. I am using a 97-01 47re transmission
2. will a 94-96 47rh transfer case work with a 47re trans
3. use a 47re transfer case
4. will the 47re transfer case work with my 95 chevy transfer case

Anyone know?
thanks Joe

·
Registered
800 Posts
i thought a dodge 241hd has a wider chain? in other words you want/need to change the input shaft on the 241 to a 241hd?

why not run whatever transfer case bolts up to the rh?

im confused.

the sensers should be a speed senser, and a 4x4 indicator (i think)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hmmm I did this, but with an NP233C and an NP233D. You have two sensors on the dodge or the chevy or both? My experience of doing the hybrid case was that most of the hard parts are same/similar/interchangable. I am running the front half of the chevy case so that it bolts up and the shifting mech of the dodge so that it shifts like mine did. I have electric shift, otherwise I would probably have just made the chevy case work entirely. I will need to add the speed sensor from the chevy case when i go to a 4L80E though.

I see no reason the older case wouldn't bolt up, the only issue i can think of is if it is a different spline count. I think they would be the same though. Or the input length is different like they did on NP231/NP242/NP249 cases...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
the compushift can run off the tranny only, no need for the sensor on the transfer
have you gotten to play with the setup yet? i'm axious to hear your results. it looks like my 700r4 may last a little longer than i thought, As long as i can get it to keep fluid in it... not the easiest thing. :rolleyes:

I do have my 4L80E, but that was the cheapest part of the venture of course.

If i don't have to tear the T/C apart to put the rear tail housing, I probably won't... one less thing to mess with. I will have to pull the trans apart to install the new output shaft...should be fun.

·
Registered
800 Posts
i put a clocking ring on the transfer case. and it LEAKS. gotta pull and reseal it. i should have driveshafts later this week.

im waiting to reseal the case, rerun the cooler lines. i really want to have it running by saturday (as in moving). it should be idleing by today, or tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i put a clocking ring on the transfer case. and it LEAKS. gotta pull and reseal it. i should have driveshafts later this week.

im waiting to reseal the case, rerun the cooler lines. i really want to have it running by saturday (as in moving). it should be idleing by today, or tomorrow.
Mine's leaking out of the filler tube inlet. My filler isn't quite the right shape, so it interferes with the down pipe. When I say it leaks, I mean it DUMPS. If it doesn't sit long, it's fine, even overnight it's alright, but if it sits for a few days, it dumps like a gallon or two onto the ground.

I just ordered a flexible one, but I'm moving and it's getting shipped to my Mom's address, so extra time until i get it, ugh.

Good luck getting yours moving, I have high expectations for that compushift unit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I do know that if I use the 47rh you have to run the front half of the dodge transfer( 241hd )case because of the imput shaft and to make it bolt up to the dodge trans. Then I can use the use the back of my chevy transfer so it can be used with the rear driveshaft. That is what I was told.

Anyhow now I am going with a 47re with a standalone. I just want to make sure I can use a newer transfer( 00-01 )with it.

To tell you the truth I don't even know why the transfaer cases are different?
I was told to just get a 94-96 241hd and split both of my cases aprt and make them work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wouldnt run a hybrid case just for the chevy output. then again i eliminated my chevy slip yoke, because they leak. want to buy my old chevy output shaft, and tailhousing???
No thanks. My chevy transfer case is good. Basically I just want to make the 95 chevy transfer case work with a 47 re transmission?

What need done?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i thought a dodge 241hd has a wider chain? in other words you want/need to change the input shaft on the 241 to a 241hd?

why not run whatever transfer case bolts up to the rh?

im confused.

the sensers should be a speed senser, and a 4x4 indicator (i think)
Well I have a 95 chevy transfer case and I need to get the right transfer case that will work on my burban and will work on the 47re. I am lost as well.

I just need to know if I get a 00 or a 97 241hd can I make it work?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I guess if you have the parts, it would save a bit of money to build the Hybrid. Personally i would think buying the output of the T case and making the drive shaft work would be the better option. What is it, a slip yoke output? just get a slip yoke for the dodge T/C and use your drive shaft if they are the same sized u joint. Pulling a broken drive shaft in the future will be easier than pulling the transfercase.

I don't think this is the best site for finding information on possible differences between years on NP241HD's out of dodge trucks. I would try a dodge truck specific site...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are the difference in the chevy vr dodge.

Ok I got my chevy transfer apart. Also I checked the transfer at the junk yard and got some pics. Here is pics of both of them. I don't know if my chevy will work. It looks like the holes don't quite line up. what do you think?

Thanks joe

Now I have to see what will make them work or see what will make mine work.

here is the link

http://www.putfile.com/j_k_auto/images/142050

1 - 16 of 16 Posts