Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got 4-5 thousand miles on the truck now. Finally have all the bugs worked out ( I think )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im using the stock nv4500 5sp. Hydroboost on the brakes. Using the stock dodge ps pump etc..
As long as the trans is a 96 or newer its real easy. If you have the older one It might be easier to use a dodge trand and swap out the tailshaft to mate it to the chev xfer case.

The truck was a 6.5 that was a dog ( like all the 6.5's )

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you could please post a closer picture of the AC pump mount and belt. I'm about to start my own 6btaa nv4500 twin turbo 95 GMC crew cab. How much lift are you running under that body? Yes the 6.5 is a dog. I could pull my 31ft Jayco 5th wheel better with a moped!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3" BODY LIFT. Ill try to get a close up on the mount tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
95 and older GM NV4500's have the low first gear which makes for a different input and cluster tooth count. Dodge inputs won't swap. Also, don't use a low first gear 5th gear on a normal NV4500. It'll give you around a .5:1 overdrive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
95 and older GM NV4500's have the low first gear which makes for a different input and cluster tooth count. Dodge inputs won't swap. Also, don't use a low first gear 5th gear on a normal NV4500. It'll give you around a .5:1 overdrive.
So does that mean if i went through this swap ide have to change the first gear on my 93 gm nv4500? Effectively losing my granny gear? Im new to this forum and basically joined because im contemplating a cummins to replace my blown 6.5l chevy. NYCEGUY has been very helpful with my questions over on the diesel place.com, but this seems to be the place with tons of info on cummins swaps so i figured ide check it out.

·
Registered
500 Posts
So does that mean if i went through this swap ide have to change the first gear on my 93 gm nv4500? Effectively losing my granny gear? Im new to this forum and basically joined because im contemplating a cummins to replace my blown 6.5l chevy. NYCEGUY has been very helpful with my questions over on the diesel place.com, but this seems to be the place with tons of info on cummins swaps so i figured ide check it out.
I think he's referring the granny gear ratio. Pre 1995 and older GM's had a 6.34 something and the newer 4500's are around 5.61. Both are syncronized, but considered a double-low or granny gear like the old SM465's (which were un-syncronized)

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
What he is say that the first gen Gm 93-95 cann't use the dodge input shaft and parts and will not bolt up to a dodge bellhousing.

96 or newer Gm Nv4500 can interchange front input shaft and will bo it up to the dodge 94-2001 Nv4500 bellhousing.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice truck, I´m building a 95´chevy pick-up with 99´ Cummins and 47re.

Did you do it yourself ?

I´m interested about intercooler too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts