Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks I am new here and looking for some guidance. I currently own a early 98 ram diesel 4x4 with 5 speed . I live in Ohio and this truck is a total rust bucket . I am currently looking at a 97 Ford F-350 4x4 crew cab in New Mexico with a 460 auto . Considering buying a 1 way plane ticket and driving the Ford home . I want to do a Cummins swap and also want to use my trans and transfer case. I wanted to start dismantling my dodge and taking anything and everything that I think I may need . Just curious what some of you did for motor mounts ? Also trying to plan ahead for any unforeseen circumstances.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Here is the stickie for motor mounts Show off ur motor mounts.
As far as setting the power train into the ford frame I would get the frame up and level on stands of some sort, using a good protractor find the front rear rake of the engine and record that as it will be where the new will sit. The other measurement that matters is the offset on my '68 it was IIRC 1 15/16" to the passenger side of the frames center line, with these 2 figures you will have what you need if you have to move the frame during the process be sure you relevel it so your #'s don't change.
As to what to keep off the dodge I'd keep as much drive train and electrical such as gauges all under dash and engine compartment wiring at a minimum.

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
If you want something completely bolt in, Autoworld in Montana has engine mounts for the '97. Don't know the price but their company has a good reputation. Here's a link to their site. Motor Mounts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can second Char’s suggestion for Autoworld. I am in the process of putting a 4bt into a ford and they make a solid mounting solution and brackets to accommodate a 4bt or 6bt. Not cheap but definitely takes a lot of guesswork and fab time out of the process. They are also super nice to work with and will answer the phone to help you along.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi folks I am new here and looking for some guidance. I currently own a early 98 ram diesel 4x4 with 5 speed . I live in Ohio and this truck is a total rust bucket . I am currently looking at a 97 Ford F-350 4x4 crew cab in New Mexico with a 460 auto . Considering buying a 1 way plane ticket and driving the Ford home . I want to do a Cummins swap and also want to use my trans and transfer case. I wanted to start dismantling my dodge and taking anything and everything that I think I may need . Just curious what some of you did for motor mounts ? Also trying to plan ahead for any unforeseen circumstances.
you can find gas dodge rust free out west.. and then you don't need to do much conversion..

·
Registered
453 Posts
You will need to consider the gasser differential ratio...probably not what you want for the Cummins.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You will need to consider the gasser differential ratio...probably not what you want for the Cummins.
go with a 2500 heavy and likely the gearing will be fine.. and unless you are pulling the world.. the cummins won't care much and your fuel economy will bump up.. Both My son's ran 4.11.. the new one 3.92.. 10V trucks tend to be the same as diesels.. but the 360 still came with lower gears.. far as i know..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not sure that the gearing will always be fine. I don't like running big tires, and maybe that is the ticket. The stock 98 dodge runs 30-31inch tires and probably a 3.54 ratio. With an NV4500 it is pretty nice running a touch over 2k RPMs at 70MPH. Texas has lots of flat straight 80mph highways. This is probably his current set up and acceptable. If the F350 has 4.10s and equal tires, then you run 2400RPMs at 70 and 2750!!!! to get up to 80. That's screaming! I am unhappy with my stock F250 with 3.73s. It'll do 70 but I don't do 80 (and I usually stay between 65 and 70) and take a several mile to the gallon hit running too many RPMs. Now if you like big tires, then all of this changes. The sterling 10.25/10.5 found in Ford rears is normally gearable to 3.54 as standard. I would definitely consider the gear ratio of the donor truck and/or ask myself if I am okay with regearing the axles. With an NV4500, I figure it's a low 1st gear that I don't usually use, but I sure can if I have a load. I am trying to gear my truck even faster then 3.54. I don't mean to start any fights, just point out my opinions on my 6bt Fummins. Just for your consideration.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I'm not sure that the gearing will always be fine. I don't like running big tires, and maybe that is the ticket. The stock 98 dodge runs 30-31inch tires and probably a 3.54 ratio. With an NV4500 it is pretty nice running a touch over 2k RPMs at 70MPH. Texas has lots of flat straight 80mph highways. This is probably his current set up and acceptable. If the F350 has 4.10s and equal tires, then you run 2400RPMs at 70 and 2750!!!! to get up to 80. That's screaming! I am unhappy with my stock F250 with 3.73s. It'll do 70 but I don't do 80 (and I usually stay between 65 and 70) and take a several mile to the gallon hit running too many RPMs. Now if you like big tires, then all of this changes. The sterling 10.25/10.5 found in Ford rears is normally gearable to 3.54 as standard. I would definitely consider the gear ratio of the donor truck and/or ask myself if I am okay with regearing the axles. With an NV4500, I figure it's a low 1st gear that I don't usually use, but I sure can if I have a load. I am trying to gear my truck even faster then 3.54. I don't mean to start any fights, just point out my opinions on my 6bt Fummins. Just for your consideration.
I think similar to you and here in N. AZ. we have similar interstate speeds and my 4BT in a 8,000# truck with the diesel ZF-5, 3.54's and 33's 75 mph is doable but @ 2,150 I take a mileage hit, something in the 3.2/3.3 would be "ideal" I could go to 35's but my brakes are my weak link now and 2" more tire would only make things worse wish the D-60 had a option in that range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think similar to you and here in N. AZ. we have similar interstate speeds and my 4BT in a 8,000# truck with the diesel ZF-5, 3.54's and 33's 75 mph is doable but @ 2,150 I take a mileage hit, something in the 3.2/3.3 would be "ideal" I could go to 35's but my brakes are my weak link now and 2" more tire would only make things worse wish the D-60 had a option in that range.
10 and up Super Duties had a 3.31 ratio available. I'm trying to figure out how to install a pair in my 2000 F250. It sounds "ideal" to me too. 11 and up ring and pinions are available from Ford and last week there were still a handful of Dana 60 fronts for the older 08-10. In short there is a 3.31 ratio for the Ford High Pinion Dana 60 and also the 10.5.

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
Interesting. For a long time 3.54/3.55 was the highest available in 4wd Super Duty. There was a 3.07 available in the 2wd only back in the late '80's or early '90's. 3.31 might be nice with a Cummins with its low RPM high torque. I believe I read that ratio started in the 2011 an up models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting. For a long time 3.54/3.55 was the highest available in 4wd Super Duty. There was a 3.07 available in the 2wd only back in the late '80's or early '90's. 3.31 might be nice with a Cummins with its low RPM high torque. I believe I read that ratio started in the 2011 an up models.
Absolutely right on!! I put a 3.07 from my 91.0 dodge in a 98 Dana 70. I had to cut the carrier in several different ways to get sufficient offset and then the gear set was used and not the best. If we can snake new gear sets into old axles, then you aren't putting obsolete parts into the Sterling/Dana 60. The 3.07 with 47RE is too fast for me. Mostly I lose control of when the auto shifts and it drops the RPMs too low. Mind you, the 47RE is .68 OD ratio too, just exacerbating the problem. Since I have your attention, another viable option in my opinion for a Dodge is 3.21. A GM FF 14 bolt has brand new 3.21s available. To go into a dodge you would need to put the Dana 70 tone ring in there, and then add a bung to the pressed diff cover that allows your speed sensor to pickup on the tone ring. The Dana 60 on the dodges is not high pinion and so someone is making Dana 60 3.21s as a new ring and pinion too. This is the route I will probably pursue after I discard my Modern Modified 3.07 Dana 70 in the Dodge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Eggman!!! I just saw your sig that your rear axle is Dana 60. I was thinking Dana 60 front... So I have good news!!!
Doctor Diff has a custom set of 3.23 gears available for a standard rotation Dana 60 (Your rear axle) for cheap too!!!
You can also get a matching set for your D44HD and you are off to the races! (pun intended??)

·
Registered
62 Posts
My stock dodge tire on my 2 stock dodges are 265/75/ 16 and I know people like to drive as fast as they can, but as some old guy.. I think like an old guy.. the 411's run at the best fuel economy at about 58 MPH.. and that is where I lock my cruise.. as I'm in no hurry to spend more money to get to the same place..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yup, 58 puts you at 1900 RPMs assuming NV4500. I'm certain it works for you, but I am also sure it can't work for everyone. I sure can't imagine going that fast in an 80. 70, yes 65 ehhh possibly, but when the cars passing you are going 30mph faster than you, I would feel unsafe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts