Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here...

I have started down the path of replacing my 4l with a diesel. I have most of the parts and am going to be working on motor mount planning this weekend.
Its a 97 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4l, crappy 42re is being replaced with an AW4, 3.73 gears, 30 in tires with a 3 inch lift. Ive poked around and it doesnt seem like anyone really does this with a grand cherokee as much as a Cherokee or Wrangler. Kinda curious why...

Anyway, i have been poking around looking for motor mount ideas and it occurred to me that no one uses the stock mounts. I would assume that the Cherokee mounts are similar to the Grand cherokee where the replaceable mount is bolted to the body. Is there a reason that the engine bracket is not fabricated to use that stock mount? Seems like it would hold the engine in all three directions without a problem.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not sure the Jeep mount will hold up to the diesel, I used the Benz mount with success. It does require you add some way of limiting tension. Without the little shocks that do that they could pull apart, so I wrapped the mount with nylon strap. Did the job. The AW4 will be a nice trans to use, the stand alone controller is not hard to set up. Basically the tps and tv cable do most of the control, just takes time to get dialed in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use the stock MB arms on the engine side? I dont suppose you have a picture of the mount setup you used?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sorry, I don't have the Jeep anymore. The Benz arms can be used with a bit of modification, possibly to the Jeep frame as well. The mounts are just the beginning of the modifications, oil pan, panard rod, steering linkage, etc. I hope you're not planning on heavily wheeling it because the front sump/oil pump makes oil starvation a big deal at steep incline. Also with this motor 3.73 gears will not be happy, 4.10 minimum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah im already planning on going to 4.10s. Not heavy wheeling at all, occasional camping trip and minor off roading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Its been a little over a year now and i finally was able to get back to my swap. RL decided to get in the way... I have motor mounts made and besides a little tweak to the drivers side mount, its almost ready to bolt in. Im looking at getting the modded pump to get more power. I have searched and searched and i cant seem to get any possible hp/tq ratings by element size. Anyone happen to know what kinda of numbers are probable for 6-7 mm elements?

There have been a few minor changes to the setup as well. i have a 4 inch Rough Country lift with adjustable track bars and probably go with 32 inch tires. Sourcing a 231 locally is a problem here as they are all snatched up pretty quick out here. So it looks like ill be sticking with my 249 for a bit...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its been a little over a year now and i finally was able to get back to my swap. RL decided to get in the way... I have motor mounts made and besides a little tweak to the drivers side mount, its almost ready to bolt in. Im looking at getting the modded pump to get more power. I have searched and searched and i cant seem to get any possible hp/tq ratings by element size. Anyone happen to know what kinda of numbers are probable for 6-7 mm elements?

There have been a few minor changes to the setup as well. i have a 4 inch Rough Country lift with adjustable track bars and probably go with 32 inch tires. Sourcing a 231 locally is a problem here as they are all snatched up pretty quick out here. So it looks like ill be sticking with my 249 for a bit...
Please give us an update on this, i as well have a zj om617 and im just about done with my swap!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RL got in the way again.. The 4.0 went back into the jeep in October for a trip in November. Then i got married. But good news is that the project is back on track again. I re-fabricated the mounts as the originals i made were way too bulky and i decided to steer away from the stock MB mounts. The engine is bolted in and i'm looking at the oil pan now. Yours looks like a much bigger lift than mine so im guessing that you aren't running into the clearance issues that i am. Currently i'm looking at modifying the oil pan to be a rear sump.

I did get the 4 inch lift on it, i still need to order some adjustable uppers in the front and get those on to fix a clearance issue with the bump stop perch on the drivers side. But things have gone pretty well so far with getting it together.

I'm also toying with an idea to keep my stock AC compressor using a separate pulley system driven off of the water pump and mounting it in front of the intake manifold. This will depend on the intake piping though. I'm trying not to have to have custom AC lines made and i just replaced the AC pump and recharged in November. Power steering will be handled by an electric pump i sourced from an MR2 Spyder with the built in controller.

It looks like yours may be mounted a bit higher that mine. How close is the valve cover to the body?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill try and get some pics up when i get a chance. I have a few on my phone of the mounts i made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts