Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to put a 4bt in my truck for a long time but have been budget constrained. I now have an opportunity to get a 98' dodge2500 w/ a 12 valve engine and a blown auto tranny. I would like to put a manual transmission behind it and I already have a sm465/np205 behind the 6.2 that is in my Blazer. I have several questions that will hopefully help me decide if I should get a dodge manual, or if I can swap the adaptor plate and use my chevy manual tranny.

Do the dodge auto and nv4500 transmissions have the same bellhousing bolt pattern?
Do the 12v engines have adaptor plates like the 4bts do allowing to use Ford/Chevy/Dodge transmissions?
Do all chevy adaptors have the 8degree tilt built in?
Thanks for the help.
Wylie

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The Cummins 4b and 6b have the same block bolt spacing as well as the dodge engine adapter.The dodge 94-01 use the same bellhousing spacing.

The Cummins block has many different types of engine adapter that will bolt up.

A stock Gm 6.2 clutch won't hold the power of a 6b,plus with using the sm465 won't have a overdrive so plan on not driving at high speed or gear change will have to be done.

The Gm / Cummins all have the tilt made into them , unless one is made without the tilt.

But if your going to use the sm465 you can keep the engine straight / no tilt, the only problem there is the front shaft will be raised up.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
137 Posts
well, that and the shift lever will stick into your leg LOL but that's easily bent.

Otherwise, yee ha. The lack of overdrive kind of sucks but the 465 is bomber.

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
...and check to make sure you aren't buying a "53" Cummins engine block that has a history of failures. Casting number 53 is on the block under the turbo area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't drive on the highway that much does it is annoying only having 3 street useable gears, its just I don't the money to buy a nv4500, but maybe by the time I have time to put the 6bt in I can afford it. thanks for the help
I will look for the 53 on the block when I go see the truck tomorow. thanks
Wylie

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
53 block only has to do with a 24 valve. i have never read anywhere of a 12 vale 53 block cracking. just some info.
From the DTR Forums post #4 in this thread:
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=151021&highlight=53+block

Also:
http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm
Quoted from there:
Update: Recent information I have received from a 1998 12v owner says that some late 12v engines have "53" blocks. This owner knows because he HAS one. His truck has a build date of 11-97. He did say, however, that he has had no problems with his block, regularly pulling heavy trailers in the Rocky Mountains.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts