Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and sick of my v6 gasser.

My plans are obviously 4bt swap. i plan on using a nv4500 transmission. my truck now is an auto so ill have to do some fabrication for that to work (not worried about that, i can fabricate whatever i put my mind to). I am using a 242 transfer case from a durango RT. i like the full time 4wd option, will this be an issue putting it up to the nv4500. i dont think it will be considering my truck came with a 231 and guys are using them in the swaps and this one bolted right up to my trucks trans no issues. the truck came with the tow package so i believe it has the bigger axles on it but ill get under there and verify that. i know the oil pan will have to be modified since im keeping factory front end and ill have to make my own motor mounts. but im worried about the transfer case. i did a search and didnt find anyone else using the 242 case. it was on the 5.9 rt durango so i believe it should handle power of the 4bt but not sure. any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. what did you guys pull your 4bt out of? whats the best options?

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
If you're dealing with a Dodge NV242 it most likely has a 23 spline input. An NV4500 from a Dodge diesel has a 29 spline output. An NV4500 from a gas engine would have the 23 spline output, but there you get into issues adapting to the Cummins. You'd need to swap the input shaft, bearing retainer, and bellhousing from the diesel transmission to fit the block adapter. Other option would be a custom adapter for the Dodge gas bellhousing which does exist. Changing to the diesel front parts on the gas transmission is probably cheaper. As for strength of the NV242 I don't know. The main issue will be how much extra power you want to build into the engine. A base 5.9 unless you're talking the SC model, has 330 lb ft of torque. That's about what a 130 HP 4bt has. Push one to 200 HP which is a popular goal and you'll have far more torque that the SC 5.9. Might start to prove hard on a full time 4wd transfer case. Also, full time is going to give worse fuel mileage than part time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the response. the transfer case still has the option for 2wd. the case has 2wd, 4wd part time, 4wd full time, neutral, and 4wd lo. i usually run it in 2wd but winters in michigan i like to use 4wd full time since it goes from snow to ice to pavement. dont have to keep switching it

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
I've never had any experience with a full time 4wd. Does your vehicle have manual locking hubs up front? It would seem to me that running around in full time puts a lot of wear on the transfer case vs having the front hubs locked and manually shifting into 4x4 when needed. You get a lot more nasty weather where you are then we do here in the south. Another thing to remember is the torque of a 4bt comes on about 1000 RPM sooner than a gas engine so the drive train is getting more stress earlier.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A 4bt and a nv4500 is a significant amount of added weight for the stock front end. Might want to SAS it first or go with a lighter powerplant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts