Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 F150 with an automatic overdrive transmission 4X4. In the next year I want to swap out my engine and replace it with a 4BT. I want to replace the auto matic with a 6 speed transmission and keep the 4X4. What transmission do I need to look for, what kind of adapters do I need etc. What problems will I run into regarding electronics like for the air bags, how do you handle air conditioning mounts etc. I want a truck will that will top out at 85 mph and be able to tow a camper (but not at 85 mph). This is my first post and thanks for your help.

Regrds.

TAP

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh BOY! A "jelly bean" F150!!!

That to me will be one of the ultimate MPG swaps!

I can't tell you a thing about actually DOING the swap mind you!

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Sounds like a big job, dealing with the computer to keep the truck happy, gauges and all too.

Could have some trouble with the legal side of it as far as inspections and such, but may be able to get by if you know a "good" inspection place.

You're not that far from me, just over the mountain. If you need a hand figuring something out, or a part made, I have a machine shop.

Grigg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could look for a 6-spd out of a dodge. NV5600's are getting harder to find, and are expensive. The 04.5+ dodges come with the Getrag G56. Both use a drivers drop transfer case. Those would probably be the most plentiful ones I'd think. Get the adapter plate for the dodge and you're in business.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The Ford diesel S6-650 6 speed is a lot more common and affordable than the dodge stuff. Way overkill for a 4BT and probably have a hard time fitting it in the 150 chassis. I'd go with a Ford diesel ZF 5 speed.

Make sure you can register it as a diesel before you start. The wiring would be fairly easy.

·
3,761 Posts
The wiring would be fairly easy.
I understand the Cummins part is dead simple. But what do you do to make the stock gauges work and the check engine and a number of other waring lights stay off?

Grigg

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just like any other swap- You take the oil pressure and temp sensors out of the old motor and put them in the new one.

The EEC tells the check engine light to turn on. You have to remove the EEC for everything to work, therefore no check engine light. Tach- Dakota digital flywheel tach interface $110.

Gauges are completely seperate from the EEC. The EEC controls the engine and tranny. ABS and speedo are entirely seperate.

·
3,761 Posts
It does sound simple when you put it like that....
Not as easy as an old truck, but manageable.

Grigg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, lets start with the trans there is no need for a 6 speed the nv4500 and 5600 have the same final gear and first the only advantage is the gap in the gears from 3rd to 4th is changed with an added gear shortening the shift poins. Nv 4500 has a mechanical speedo on the tail shaft housing and unless ur gonna totaly mod the 4bt there is no need for a beefy trans like the 5600 as far as the lights just open the cluster up and pull the bulbs out and run after market guages to keep an eye on boost, egt's, oil temp,etc. Then wire in the speedo and temp as well as tach and oil pressure to the orig cluster check with destroked.com for any questions or parts and good luck u will also need the np205 t/c and linckages too

·
Registered
111 Posts
Make sure that you run a seperate oil pressure sensor because the gauge is an "idiot" gauge it reads normal if more than 5 psi of oil and does not read different for different oil pressures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts