Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After the 5-20 installation of the tank I found one of the top 5 screws was stripped. Didn't have time to fix it correctly so I thought I'll just smear all the gasket surfaces with extra sealant and it will hold, It didn't.
For the fix made all of the blind holes through and added studs. Used 1.5" 8-32 screws and coated the head and threads with red loctite for my "studs". I don't expect any more leaks.

At least now I can do maintenance on the sending unit without dropping the tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Trace the air leak down to the flex line I'd used to extend the fuel pickup. I'd used SAE 30R7 fuel line (for external use only). I had let the fuel level drop and it exposed the fuel line to the air inside the tank and it started sucking air. The correct fuel line type to use for submersible usage is SAE 30R10. There very proud of it, $25.00 a foot.
So now I've run two tanks through and let the fuel level drop down to E twice, no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What is the manufacturer of that 37gal poly tank? I am on the hunt for one similar!
Unfortunately the manufacture is out of business. I was lucky to be at the right place at the right time to score the used tank. How are your welding skills?
here's a pic of the tag for the tank.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts