Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to reinstall my A/C compressor but I’m not sure where to start and don’t want to waste money if there is a known solution.
I have a 4bt (0858) using the front engine mounts. Installed a new manifold to fit the new Super HX30W and subsequently ran into the back of the A/C compressor ☹
Maybe a cobra head + Freightliner bracket = A/C 🤠

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1B1F70A0-05BC-4E16-848A-39F90707FD4C.jpeg

·
Premium Member
427 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
My 4bt has a high mount.

Mount is from an Oshkosh van. I've never seen another one. The compressor is mounted over center and 1/2"-13 threaded rod pulls the compressor counter-clockwise to tighten the belt. It took me awhile to get it to work right.

The shock loads were snapping Grade 8 pivot bolts.

Thread-all did not like the off-set tension.

I reworked the pivot, and someone on this site recommended B-7 threaded rod. No more problems (several years later).
The details are somewhere in my build thread - it is almost midnight and I am too lazy to look for it...

Russ

Reactions: Scro and SUBRUTUS

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Russ, I love the simplicity of your design. I, unfortunately, purchased a top mount that was too tall for the engine bay so I added a mount to reposition the compressor mount. Your idea is easier and much cleaner looking. Given I have a square body I would probably need the compressor to be a bit lower though. However, your design might be the solution here. 👍

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
... I would probably need the compressor to be a bit lower though. However, your design might be the solution here. 👍
The hood clearance is tight.

There is a small dent in the hood where a clutch dump (with brakes applied) took out a motor mount. I now use Dodge V-10 / 6bt motor mounts.

Russ

Reactions: Scro

·
Vendor
2,668 Posts
Reactions: Scro

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you gentlemen, I will proceed with research. Unfortunately, most of my tools are in storage and I’m working on a gravel driveway in the Texas sun. This project will probably be turned over to a shop if I can find the right one.
Thanks again for the suggestions

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I am in the Corpus Christi area. Looks like you are in the northern San Antonio area. Saying that I wouldn't mind assisting if you were close enough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I mounter my GM compressor on top of the alternator mount. I sacrificed the mount casting from the 350.
It's on the wrong side of the belt tensioner but works fine! Also had to use a narrower belt to fit the GM pulley.

Good Luck!
Jim B

Reactions: SUBRUTUS
1 - 13 of 13 Posts