Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stay with me here, cause my head jumped clear outta the box while thinking about this one! :idea: In my shortsighted haste to build my mounts and get my 4BTA into my truck, I did not even consider saving room for an a/c compressor. So rather that redesign that which already works well, I've had a brainstorm for getting a/c and possibly even an onboard air compressor but I don't know if it will work; I need your opinions please!

Can I remove the clutch and pulley from an a/c compressor leaving a keyed shaft, couple it to a hydraulic motor, power the hydraulic motor with my power steering pump, and remote mount the assembly wherever I please? Does the p/s pump produce enough flow, and would a small hydraulic motor have enough oomph for this to work? If so, why not expand the idea and do the same thing for an onboard air compressor?

Thoughts? Counterpoints? Jeers and laughter? Let me know!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I doubt you'd get enough flow and GMP out of the pump to do that. Most PS pumps are 1500 PSI, and 3-5 GPM. That's not really that much. Maybe 1 HP worth. An air compressor would be worse.

You can use your idea with a regular engine driven pump however.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Typical PS Pumps produce around 3.5 to 4 gpm at 1200 psi.

Looking on the Eaton (Char Lynn) hydraulic motor PDF I find;

Motor 2.2 Inch/3/r running at 4gpm at 1200 psi produces 387 rpms and 327 inch pounds of torque

Motor 4.5 Inch /3/r running at 4gpm at 1200 psi produces 191 rpms at 191 inch pounds of torque

inch/3/r = cubic inch displacement per revolution

You dont have the GPM to get higher RPMS.

I will be happy to email you the Char Lynn PDF which covers in detail all the Char Lynn motors and all flows/RPM and torque, with all the info you need to work on this project. The PDF is 1.8 meg and I am on a slow 24.4K dial up. I can only send it once as it will take a LONG time to send. So if your on high speed, please send it to others also interested. If you want it, PM me your email address.

Paul

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummer. I didn't know what the specs were for the p/s pump, but I was afraid that would be the answer. On the upside, it would probably be easier to do as you suggested and mount a pump that would be big enough versus rebuilding my engine mounts to mount the a/c compressor, and the hyd. pump should be smaller, too. Then I could remote mount the a/c and air compressors to save a bunch of space under the hood. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
30 Posts
They make a ps pump that will run full hydro steering on rock crawlers, and some hydraulic winches will run on a stock pump. I think in theory, it could work, making it happen, and having somthing dependable, thats a different story.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
Thought about using a dial indicator to center V- belt pulley over the 8 rib and tack weld together, then you could put compressor wherever you wanted, I have room and bolt holes for compressor above I/P on head. Cheaper than dual 8 rib pulleys and saves room between pulleys and radiator. Does anybody know what the most common quality A/C compressor used on all cars is? Looking for availability and cheap prices.

·
Registered
808 Posts
They make a ps pump that will run full hydro steering on rock crawlers, and some hydraulic winches will run on a stock pump. I think in theory, it could work, making it happen, and having somthing dependable, thats a different story.
Yes, very true. M37's use a Lu-4 Shaft PTO winch and Power Wagon uses a Mu-2 Shaft PTO driven winch, bith made by Braden. I have both running on my trucks driven by hydraulics from the PS Pump. I just finished my M37 LU-4 Hydraulic yesterday. Its a total copy of the Milemarker system. Works real sweet. M37 LU-4, 10 or so Pictures at the end of my M37 Album on Image Event at the following URL; http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/m37project

I will be sending the complete Char Lynn Hydraulic Motor PDF to
IHRACER later today. He said he well forward it to anyone requesting it. I cant due to a 24.4K dial up.

Paul

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Take a look at the 6b section on the F350 that I did,the A/c is mounted on top and use a v belt to run it.That might work for you,if you have the room.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
696 Posts
Take a look at the 6b section on the F350 that I did,the A/c is mounted on top and use a v belt to run it.That might work for you,if you have the room.

CrewCab59
I was going to suggest mounting here but CrewCab59 beat me to it, out of interest CrewCab59 can you not run it using the 8 way serp belt?

Gaza

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any closer shots of your AC setup? How high above the mounting surface is the highest point of the compressor. My try at making an AC/motor mount was thwarted by my choice to run the 10* rotated adapter and chevy transmission. The mount sits way to low. On to a new way to mount AC.

Chris

·
Registered
808 Posts
So, can you take the hydrolic motor put a pulley on it then use a belt to the AC compressor? Then maybe you can use pulley sizes to make up for the RPM you need. If that works, you can mount it anywhere.
I am sure with some calculations you could do just that. No difference in a hydraulic motor driving into a winch. Going into a winch you first go thru the winch gear system before the winch drum turns. Milemarker has proven the PS driven Hydraulic winch. Even the Army is pulling electric and going with the Milemarker Hydraulic on the Hummers. Check out the Milemarker site for more info. They offer a great DVD on the winches. Its free and really worth asking for a copy. www.milemarker.com

Paul

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I was going to suggest mounting here but CrewCab59 beat me to it, out of interest CrewCab59 can you not run it using the 8 way serp belt?

Gaza

Could have but the A/c had a v belt and as well as the ford 7.3 vac pump,cust wanted to keep cost down .

CrewCab59

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Any closer shots of your AC setup? How high above the mounting surface is the highest point of the compressor. My try at making an AC/motor mount was thwarted by my choice to run the 10* rotated adapter and chevy transmission. The mount sits way to low. On to a new way to mount AC.

Chris
I will post some pics for you !
CrewCab59

·
Registered
696 Posts
High mount A/C

Installing a 12 Valve into a 73 to 87 GM Pickup and 88 to 91 Crew Cab or Suburban can be a real hassle as far as the stock A/C compressor is concerned coming into contact with the passenger side framerail. While I was reserching other B-series OEM installs I found that Kenworth used the B-series 5.9 in 93-97 K-300 medium duty trucks which has a very narrow frame.
Upon futher inspection I discovered Cummins offers a A/C comperssor bracket that mounts the compressor up high next to the alternator (part# 3930888) which cures the problem of having to cut or notch the framerail which I've seen alot of people do.
The bracket costs $80-$100 and replaces the Dodge bottom radiator hose neck-A/C combo. Check it out, you'll love it

this is a quote from a thread on coloradok5 this is the thread http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121702
Why reinvent the wheel

Gaza

·
Registered
500 Posts
:idea: I'd recommend a 2-60 air conditioner

2 windows, rolled down

60mph!

[/flame on]

Sorry, I'm reading from work and it's nearly time to go. Fun times :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
:idea: I'd recommend a 2-60 air conditioner

2 windows, rolled down

60mph!

[/flame on]

Sorry, I'm reading from work and it's nearly time to go. Fun times :)

Yeah, that is my philosophy too. Just one problem, running makeup = me running for cover!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts