Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a 2005 re-man 4bt pass emmisions and inspection in IL
or even a website that would posess this information

and is there an adapter that would work on my nsg370 out of a 2005 Jeep Wrangler

also would i be able to directly bolt on a Holset HX30 w/o any mods
except a 3200 spring, turning a few screws and a larger intake and runninig 3" exhaust turbo-back

Premium Member
1,447 Posts
BEHOLD the power of Google!

will a 2005 re-man 4bt pass emmisions and inspection in IL
or even a website that would posess this information
Here's some stuff I found on the web WRT IL emissions inspections:

From :

Exempt, Kit, and "Gray Market" Vehicles
Exempt Vehicles

The following vehicles are exempt from vehicle emissions tests:

* motorcycles;
* vehicles of model year 1967 or before;
* farm vehicles and implements of husbandry;
* antique vehicles at least 25 years old that qualify for antique license plates from the Illinois Secretary of State. (For more information, contact the Secretary of State’s office at 800-252-8980);
* certified “custom vehicles” and “street rods” as defined below;
* diesel powered vehicles and vehicles that are powered exclusively by electricity;
* vehicles for which a Junking Certificate has been issued by the Secretary of State pursuant to the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/3-117);
* vehicles operated exclusively for parade or ceremonial purposes by a non-profit veteran, fraternal or civic organization; *
* vehicles operated exclusively in organized amateur or professional sporting activities as defined in the Environmental Protection Act (415 ILCS 5/1 et seq.).*

From :

Modifications of Engine and/or Fuel Type

Prior to manufacture and sale, all vehicles must be federally certified to meet applicable federal emission standards for each type of engine and engine-chassis combination. Federal law prohibits removing or rendering inoperative an emission-control device or element of design from the vehicles.

Vehicles that have been altered from their original certified configuration are inspected in the same manner as other subject vehicles:

* Vehicles with engines other than the engine originally installed by the manufacturer, or an identical replacement of such engine, are subject to the same test procedures and standards for the chassis type and model year of the vehicle.

* Vehicles that have been switched from an engine of one fuel type to another fuel are subject to the test procedures and standards for the current fuel type, in addition to the provisions described above for engine replacements.

* Vehicles that are switched to a fuel type for which there is no federally certified configuration are inspected according to the most stringent emission standards established for that vehicle type and model year.

Vehicles that do not meet these standards are not eligible for waivers. Questions about engine and fuel type modifications should be directed to the U.S. EPA at (312) 353-2000.

Now.. Just some random thoughts about this:

IF you can get the vehicle's fuel type swapped to Diesel by the DMV (as our friends in CA seem to be able to do) and thereby qualify as an "exempt" status vehicle, you might have a chance. What worries me is that last bullet in the "Modifications of Engine and/or Fuel Type". That provision is the one that could bite ya, unless the target vehicle in question offered a diesel, is the right GVWR, and the correct year. Also, some states might go by the VIN and ONLY by the VIN as far as fuel type determination.. UGLY if they pull that out of the hat.

On the question of a 2005 RECON meeting emissions.. If it's a CPL that was EPA certified for on-highway use, then yes it can pass muster. But, it will pass muster when used in the proper year and weight classification vehicles. RECON engines are typically NOT EPA certified for the year they're reconditioned, but are EPA certified according to the CPL they're built to meet. Example: I have an engine that was RECON in 1998 to CPL 857 (VE pump, etc). It is EPA certified for years up to 1991 if what I've read is correct. It is NOT EPA certified for use in a vehicle newer than 1991, even though it was RECON in 1998.

The reason I mentioned GVWR is that the 4BT engines of all years (to my knowledge, and this includes ISB variants) are certified as "Light Heavy-Duty" in the eyes of the EPA. This means that the vehicle that they're used in, to be fully compliant, has to be classified as "Light Heavy-Duty". The short definition of this is a vehicle having a GVWR greater than 8500LB (and under 20K IIRC.. Hit the search and look at some of the emissions discussions, there's links to the full breakdown on what/where) for Federal classifications.

Some states don't pay any mind to this consideration (from what I've read this is the case in California..). The DMV folks just look at it to confirm it's been swapped to diesel, change the fuel type on the registration, and life is good from there out. You might have to make some discreet inquiries locally as to how it's handled in IL.

So, in a nutshell:

If you've got a VE Pump 4BT, to be fully compliant, you'd have to be swapping into a target vehicle that is 1991 MY or earlier and having a GVWR greater than 8500LB.

If your intended target vehicle is the 2005 Jeep Wrangler you mentioned, none of the B series will be *fully* legal in the eyes of the EPA due to GVWR classification, but that part may be a non-issue in your state. AND, you may have to get an ISB to have an engine EPA certified for that year of vehicle.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.