Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

a few different q's

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Machman 
#1 ·
with my install, i finally removed all the lpg stuff from the engine bay. now i have heaps of room on the passenger's side. i would like to put the air cleaner over there. if i use 3 inch pipe, will the length matter much ? would 2.5 inch be ok ? it would be simpler to get over the engine and under the bonnet. i don't think it will be a restriction, but you never know. read the air cleaner thread. i reckon i'll use some sort of truck air cleaner. and one of those restriction indicators. next question, can i use the barring tool to lock the engine ? i am trying to get the front pulley off for the kdp/case bolts deal. i have the relevant impact socket, but can't stop the motor from turning. an lastly, with the bottom hose fitting, is there an alternative that is around 2" diameter ? if i found one of those, i can probably use the old clevo bottom hose. making life real easy.

#2 ·
Hi Briney, I personally would keep it at 3" if possible, if you run straight length wont be a problem within reason, bends should be kept to a minimum and as gentle a radius as possible. I read somewhere that every 90* bend restricts flow by 10%. These engine consume lots of air. I can't see why you can't use the barring tool to lock the engine. have you tried an air ratchet?
I have seen a few diferent top & bottom water inlets/outlets but the one thing they all had in common was the outlet was 1.75" and inlet was 2.25" they might exist but I have never seen one. Could you not use a silicone reucer 2.25" to 2" and go from there?

Gaza

#3 ·
I have seen pictures of bread van engines for sale that had a good 2 metres of 3" pipe between the air filter and turbo. You will be fine.

#4 ·
I recently bought a 4BT that was running with 8' of intake piping. It was 3" and bends were all mandrel though. An air or even a hand impact will take the pulley bolts right out.

There is a bolt in lower radiator hose for the early Fords with a 4BT( can't find the number right now though). The stock 300 six or FE lower hose will even work if you extend it with some tubing. The lower 4BT hose size is the same as the stock 300/FE engine's lower hose. Things might be different on the Fords on the other side of the planet though.

#5 ·
my 1/2" rattle gun wont shift it. the pulley bolts are seriously tight. which car was the bolt in hose from ? we stopped getting 300's here around 1973. i can probably make some sort of reducer. easily available hoses rock. also, i have a bosch alternator with a w terminal. anyone encountered this before ? seems to charge without it hooked up.

#6 ·
The W terminal is for connecting a tachometer. You'll need a tach that is compatible with alternator hookup to use it, though.

Penetrating oil and patience can be helpful.. Try to spray behind the pulley to get at the threads (that little tube that gets lost somewhere between the store and home really helps here). Another trick I do on the "stuck" ones is to shift my gun to "tighten" and let it hammer that direction a few moments, then reverse it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.