Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting to hear what the low-down is, but I have a line on a 1990 7.3 from an E350 "bus" that runs but has a blown E4OD trans. Sounds like an airport shuttle bus to me. It's about 100 miles from me, and to get the deal I have to haul the whole thing away. I might be able to strip it there then call a local wrecker to take the rest, but I dunno yet.

I have a number of ideas floating around about what to use it in. But it might be better to fix the trans and sell it too. I dunno yet. Just thought I'd post up and get some opinions. I'll post some of my ideas later. Right now I'm beat-down tired from work and need sleep. I'm just too excited to not post about it! bounce :grinpimp:

More later as news developes! :rasta:

·
Registered
500 Posts
keep the whole setup unless the case is busted. no way to know until you get the tranny out and look. You might even get the wrecker guy to use his boom to pull the motor with some creative torching on the motor mounts (watch for grease!)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
keep the whole setup unless the case is busted. no way to know until you get the tranny out and look. You might even get the wrecker guy to use his boom to pull the motor with some creative torching on the motor mounts (watch for grease!)
Sounds like the whole rig needs to arrive at my place before any wrenching can be done. If that's the case, I'll cut the body up here, and maybe make a decent trailer outta the frame and floor.

Otherwise I'd rip the body off and replace the cab with one from a cube van (so I have an original roof and unmodified floor). Then cut the body off and use the floor for a flatbed. (There's a theme here, but I'm not sure what. :rasta: ) It would be great for my Dad to use as his DD as well as something to pull his 12k lb "house" (32' conventional travel trailer) with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
:idea: I have one idea on how to use the 7.3......but then you probably already have an anchor for your boat...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just arrived here the other day. Have a 7.3 in a pickup of that vintage that I purchased with the trans out. It ended up being the pump out in the front. The filter in that trans is kinda cruddy and if the Oring leaks it can lose it's prime and the pump will sieze.

·
Registered
41 Posts
E4OD was NOT one of Fords better ideas! We've been through three of them in two gassers and one 7.3 non turbo.

I got to drive some of the first Powerstrokes/5 speed and they ran GOOD.

Sure like my '03 Ram Cummins 48RE though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts