Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm new here seems to be a nifty forum. I've been over on Discoweb for a while (I have a modded up 2000 Discovery) but I'm in the process of tryin to get out of the gasoline world. I was going to try to convert it to a 4bt or a Rover 300 Tdi, but I decided I didn't want to deal with TCS, ABS, SRS, HDC, CC, PW, PDL, and 5 different computers...:confused:

I want a truck with a 6bt, but I don't much care for the current dodge body style. I do like the old flat fender Power Wagons, and so I've been thinkin about goin for a cummins swap into one of those (I know of a fellow who's got a couple sittin around that I could get ahold of).

I'm pretty sure it can be done cuz I've seen one that had it done a few years back. I'm also pretty sure it ain't as relatively straight forward as doin one of these swaps into a truck with a normal width front end.

Does anyone out there know more or less what all is entailed in one of these swaps? I'm figuring on movin the grill a few inches forward and/or the firewall a few inches back, but what about clearance up and down? Any other hidden demons in this swap? I know every swap has them, but are there any in this one that are insurmountable without gobs and gobs of $$$$$?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'd figured on that. How big a deal is it to move that radiator? I can't really see it bein a problem especially if there ain't a winch up there to worry with.

Also, the wagon I'd be goin with would be the 1946-1968 models.

Thanks!

Ed

·
Registered
800 Posts
you could move the radiator forward about 4 inches. then you will have to clearance the oil pan by removing the entire front cross member. not really worth in imo. esp since a ffpw runs about minimum $10,000 in good condition. but its your money. it just will not be a cheap/budget swap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinkin ya'll are right about the cost and time vs the gains.

What about takin a Dodge Ram with a cummins and simply dropping a old Power Wagon cab and hood on the Ram frame? One of the guys at dodgepowerwagon.com recommended that...

·
Registered
808 Posts
Fitting a 6B series Cummins in a Flat Fender Power Wagon will require extensive sheet metal work to make it look right. Then you have the extra weight of the 6B series engine. It has been done. I have seen examples that turned out beautiful but required 100's of hours of fabrication and unlimited budgets. I have also seen 6B's in Power Wagons that I would not want my name on, sloopy fabrication, low budget......know what I mean. Its not just making the engine fit, its making it look like Dodge built it that way, both from the engine compartment and from inside the cab

Also to answer your question, a few have put Power Wagon bodies and even WC 53 Carryall bodies on current diesel chassis. Back to the above, BIG budget, nice fabrication its a nice truck. It can go the other way also.

I find that 4B series in my Power Wagons/WC and M37 fit beautiful, have more than enough power for my needs and get great fuel economy. I have standarized on 4BTA's with water/Aftercooler. The Water Aftercooler fits well in a Power Wagon/WC. A CAC would be very difficult to plumb do to the design of the nose/radiator area.

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fitting a 6B series Cummins in a Flat Fender Power Wagon will require extensive sheet metal work to make it look right. Then you have the extra weight of the 6B series engine. It has been done. I have seen examples that turned out beautiful but required 100's of hours of fabrication and unlimited budgets. I have also seen 6B's in Power Wagons that I would not want my name on, sloopy fabrication, low budget......know what I mean. Its not just making the engine fit, its making it look like Dodge built it that way, both from the engine compartment and from inside the cab

Also to answer your question, a few have put Power Wagon bodies and even WC 53 Carryall bodies on current diesel chassis. Back to the above, BIG budget, nice fabrication its a nice truck. It can go the other way also.

I find that 4B series in my Power Wagons/WC and M37 fit beautiful, have more than enough power for my needs and get great fuel economy. I have standarized on 4BTA's with water/Aftercooler. The Water Aftercooler fits well in a Power Wagon/WC. A CAC would be very difficult to plumb do to the design of the nose/radiator area.

Paul
I hear ya lotta folks out there like to throw stuff together and call it good. What kind of speed can you get out of a 4bta? I know they ain't speed demons but can they do descent highway speeds? Could a Power Wagon with one in it do a longish trip or would you want to tow it?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I hear ya lotta folks out there like to throw stuff together and call it good. What kind of speed can you get out of a 4bta? I know they ain't speed demons but can they do descent highway speeds? Could a Power Wagon with one in it do a longish trip or would you want to tow it?
My Carryall will run any legal road speed in the US or Canada. On a trip of 3411 miles my average fuel was 25.9119 mpg. This included
539 miles or primitave gravel road running typically 20 mph for hours.
I expect my M37 to do better on its Alaska trip since its lighter.

Checkout these picture albums. The URL will take you to my main page, then you can select the albums. Your welcome to look at them all. All deal with Power Wagons, WC's and M37's

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple

Of special interest will be albums;
Trans Labrador 2005
1943 Dodge Carryall
M37 Bandit
Bumblebee Power Wagon

My M37 will roll out in a few more weeks. Then the Bumblebee will get a 4BTA this winter.

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Well, Paul, it will probably be a while before Mr Ed is back. First the paramedics will have to get his heart started again, then try to get some air pumping in him after he falls down dead when he sees your beautiful trucks hah! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, Paul, it will probably be a while before Mr Ed is back. First the paramedics will have to get his heart started again, then try to get some air pumping in him after he falls down dead when he sees your beautiful trucks hah! :)
x2 those are some beautes my friend! :beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts