Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, a couple of things,

im looking at running a 4bt, but heres my dilemma.

a th400 with a stak4x4 3 speed transfer (stak is 2600+)

-or-

a 4l80e with an np205.

anyone know roughly what to expect for the 4l80e?? (cost wise) i have the flexplate etc....

im looking at adding a/c and the stock dodge mount is awful low. anyone ever track down the alt parts and have an idea of the cost for the frieghtliner stuff?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
1. The A/C - alt set for the 5.9 from Kenworth or freightshaker is around $150.00 or so there are 3 different P # why ?
2. The 4l80E need to be from a diesel or built like the diesel trans and you'll also need the converter.I have seen the as cores around $400-600.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
are there pictures of the freightliner A/C stuff? I wouldn't mind seeing them... I'm currently planning on mounting the Compressor above the Alternator and trying to make belt routing work...

As to the 4L80E, I looked into it a bit. A rebuilt one can run from 1100-2000 from what i've seen and they need some sort of computer controller. There are tunable aftermarket controllers for about 800 including the wiring harness. I think there are cheaper ways but i couldn't find any good documentation. I think it needs throttle position sensor and engine temp maybe another sensor too, not entirely sure. it was expensive enough to shy me away from it. if my 700r4 plan doesn't hold up, I'm not entirely sure what i will do, possibly an NV4500.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
due to the way im mounting the engine, i had to shy away from the nv4500.
im not thrilled with the auto, but it allows others to drive it.....

ok, i just swapped a th400 even for a 4l80e.

what computer, and what dodge linkage do i need to add to a 4bt???

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have used the compushift tcm and I really liked it. You can also use the computer and harness from a 93 chevy truck/van. Stick with the diesel powered trucks so the program will work for your application. You can use the tps and bracket from a ist gen dodge truck. I pulled one from a 91 and it worked well.
I have a 4L80e/205 and a tci controller if you are interested.

·
Registered
57 Posts
dovebid frito vans

Check out dovebid, I have been thinking of getting one of the 6.5 diesel vans with the 4l80e trans just for the trans. It would already be setup for a diesel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts