Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yah I posted that link earlier

Got like one response . I figure a guy could get a killer deal on one of these for parts alone . When the auction is done how about posting what they went for ?
Too far away for me.

BAM

·
Registered
477 Posts
None of them have turbo setups. I guess they are all stationary engines. That makes the pumps wrong for our use right? I don't think the military pulls out good engines, right? That would make them cores? I notoced one missing the timing cover, some others are probably short some parts too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...I don't think the military pulls out good engines, right?...
There were many good Detroit 3-53s pulled out from Gama Goats. It was the GGs that were being decommissioned so the engines in them were generally still in good condition.

My point is, if the engine is coming out of something that's being 'demilled', it can be just fine.

Ken

·
Registered
477 Posts
There were many good Detroit 3-53s pulled out from Gama Goats. It was the GGs that were being decommissioned so the engines in them were generally still in good condition.

My point is, if the engine is coming out of something that's being 'demilled', it can be just fine.

Ken
What could the 4bt have been in that would be demilled? Water pumps, generators, and such would not be demilled right?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wish some went up near me...

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
What could the 4bt have been in that would be demilled? Water pumps, generators, and such would not be demilled right?

ANYTHING can get de-mil'd. I did enough of it when I was in AF Supply.

De-mil decision is sometimes due to condition of an individual item, but usually it's a decision to remove all items of a given type from inventory due to increasing costs to maintain the whole fleet. Within that group you'll have units in conditions ranging from scrap metal to fully functional.

·
Registered
169 Posts
ANYTHING can get de-mil'd. I did enough of it when I was in AF Supply.

De-mil decision is sometimes due to condition of an individual item, but usually it's a decision to remove all items of a given type from inventory due to increasing costs to maintain the whole fleet. Within that group you'll have units in conditions ranging from scrap metal to fully functional.
X2 on that. Careful on what your bidding on, don't expect to get a running, no problems motor. When I was in the Army I can't remember once that we replaced a "good" engine. So live buy these words, "Danger Will Robbinson, danger." :dustin:

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
X2 on that. Careful on what your bidding on, don't expect to get a running, no problems motor. When I was in the Army I can't remember once that we replaced a "good" engine. So live buy these words, "Danger Will Robbinson, danger." :dustin:
Yep..

But by the same token, unless you worked in supply you'd not normally see the tractor trailer loads of perfectly good stuff we shipped out to be sold at auction.

Unless you can go "hands-on" on the exact item you're interested in, best to bid like it's a pile of scrap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tons of step vans now on DoveBid as well.

It looks like supply and demand has kicked in due to economy.

Perhaps now the price will come down enough so that I can buy one. bounce

·
Registered
477 Posts
Tons of step vans now on DoveBid as well.
Everything I see is in CA. Thats great for the west coast guys, but not for me.
The military motors are all about 8 hr from me also. Since they are not truck motors I will problably pass on them also. I don't need parts motors, I want another ready for my next swap.

·
Registered
61 Posts
its cool and would be worth having them shiped. all the 4bt i see are in ohio. do any of you know any magic way of telling what the hp raiting of the engines are as i cant seem to find more spacific info on them.

this is one i am sorta interested. if you click the moreinfo button near the bottom of page it says lift truck

·
Registered
179 Posts
Lots of Cummins 4bt show up in washington state

i got mine done there for 1650 and drove it home. There were 12 others listed in the state on the same date.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Boy somebody sure is bidding the hell out of those 4b n/a's on govliquidation.com, some are already up to $600 and there is a day left in the two day auction. Man I was hoping to get one dirt cheap and rebuild the whole thing as a turbo motor, but not anymore i guess, too pricey for me for what amounts to a block, crank, and head.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts