Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is this channel on the trans for, (outlined in red)?
I mated the T case to the trans sealing it with Anaerobic flange sealant 2 days ago. This morning started lifting the engine/trans/T case to put it in the Jeep and ATF started pouring out between the T case and trans flange.
On inspection after I separated the trans from the T case the Anaerobic flange sealant has done it's job and sealed it up tight. But there has to be a direct route to the outside via that channel. It's a case of miss matched parts, holes?

I'm in the process of filling that channel up with JB weld to be able to plug the leak, I think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The fix (JB weld) in progress.

edit: Added plugged channel photo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you not have an output shaft seal in the transmission?
No output shaft seal.

I think at one time there was a output shaft seal and the "channel" was used as a warning that the seal had gone bad when you saw the drips on the ground. The picture below is of another A518/46RH but an earlier design. Notice that the "channel" cuts into the bolt hole. I don't know the history of this trans, but all of the bolt holes and the "channel" were caked with blue silicone sealant, obviously trying to stop the leak. The bolt hole in the upper left still has the silicone surrounding the bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
I don't think you want to do what you're doing. There is a seal that goes in the back of the transmission that seals the area between it and the transfer case. Eventually you may have ATF pouring out the back of the transfer case. That slot you're filling was put there to warn of a leaking transmission seal. I believe the Dodge part # is 83503108 and NAPA number 19601. Seems like Dodge charges around $45 and all the other guys are a fraction of that. Also, your rear bearing there looks kind of dirty. That may just be the photo.

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think you want to do what you're doing. There is a seal that goes in the back of the transmission that seals the area between it and the transfer case. Eventually you may have ATF pouring out the back of the transfer case. That slot you're filling was put there to warn of a leaking transmission seal. I believe the Dodge part # is 83503108 and NAPA number 19601. Seems like Dodge charges around $45 and all the other guys are a fraction of that. Also, your rear bearing there looks kind of dirty. That may just be the photo.
I checked with several of the Dodge forums and all of them mentioned that it is common practice to plug the channel. I guess I'll find out. The original application had this attached to NP205 adapter with a spline sleeve and this area could have been "dry". On the above picture the "dirty" one is just a core, in need of a complete rebuild. Notice that the "dirty" one does not have a hole to allow ATF in the cavity. If you look at the second picture at the top you can see a "hole" below the bearing to allow or drain ATF into/out of the cavity. Both are Diesel trans but with 2 different schools of thought about the cavity.

Niether trans came with a output shaft seal. The splines go all the way to the bearing which would preclude the use of a shaft seal.

·
Registered
291 Posts
EXACTLY

·
Registered
291 Posts
What is this channel on the trans for, (outlined in red)?
I mated the T case to the trans sealing it with Anaerobic flange sealant 2 days ago. This morning started lifting the engine/trans/T case to put it in the Jeep and ATF started pouring out between the T case and trans flange.
On inspection after I separated the trans from the T case the Anaerobic flange sealant has done it's job and sealed it up tight. But there has to be a direct route to the outside via that channel. It's a case of miss matched parts, holes?

I'm in the process of filling that channel up with JB weld to be able to plug the leak, I think.
There is a seal, that goes into the trans tail housing, aside this, there is another issue many overlook, that is "the output shaft going deep enough to seal at the seal, or the output or input shaft being too long".
Some input shafts require machining off some length "depends on thickness of clocking ring".

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
In the first pic of the housing with the studs, is that a seal in the housing? Does that coupling protrude into the other housing such that a seal in the housing would also seal on the coupling?

·
Registered
291 Posts
In the first pic of the housing with the studs, is that a seal in the housing? Is that housing on the transmission?
1st picture is the t-case input shaft w/adapter clocking ring, the 2nd is the trans output, which requires a seal to seal input shaft when assembled.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, there is a seal there, too seal input shaft at the t-case...

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Yes, saw that after I posted and edited my post. Would appear the bearing in the trans housing is seated deep enough for a seal to go there, so long as that coupling protrudes far enough for the seal to run on.

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From my research there are two version of the 46RH, one with a dry area between the trans and T-case with a open drain and one with a wet area between the trans and t-case. A trans output seal was used on the dry version. The seal appears to have a flange on one side to keep it from seating in too deep. It seals against the coupler sleeve spline on the NP205 adapter.
Cylinder Rectangle Plastic Auto part Composite material

This is a view of the early 46RH with a seal.
Automotive tire Rim Gas Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

The later 46RH had a wet area between the trans and the t-case. The "drain" was blocked and a hole was added to allow ATF into the area.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That one without the drip hole was likely after the Cummins application because it was only used up through 1993. Don't know if the 47RH used later had that feature.
Both of these trans have the Cummins bolt pattern on the trans. Both are A518/46RH non-lockup used prior to 1994.
I "think" that the removal/block of the drain could be attributed to a EPA ruling to keep the oil contained. It's also cost effective for the company, one less seal for the trans.
I don't know about the 47RH having the drain blocked.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Every 47RH/RE I have ever seen has the drip slot.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You can seal the drip slot, providing, you install a vent at the O/D too...this is what I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you sure one of your Cummins pattern units isn't a 3 speed? I can't remember from seeing only the back flange casting. But can Tell you from 4 decades of building multiple auto transmissions every day I never saw a 4-spd TF without a rear seal on 4wd, and have never seen a 3 speed with one. From factory. Doesn't mean I've seen or remember everything, but I can seem to remember how a few hundred different units from 1940's to 2020's that no-one saved books for work, so.....

If you have a adapter or swap, you need to run how you gotta run. Reality is your never in a worse situation than you are in with 90% of vehicles with a wet cavity anyway as long as you check your trans and T-case oil levels like a good operator and not just the person with the keys, and if you have no rear trans seal the weep is plugged. I'm sure many here will have more direct personal experience with this matter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts