Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard would it be to bolt up an A833 Chrysler manual tranny to a 4BT?? Would I just need the adapter plate and use the A833 bellhousing or would I need the bellhousing off of a NV4500 too?? Yeah I know the NV4500 is a better tranny but its also pretty pricey and I already blew my wad on the 4bt (dovebid stepvan) I already have the A833 so the price is right and its one of the somewhat rare OD ones. This is going in a daily driver where my main concern is mpg.

·
Registered
800 Posts
i only know of sae 2 and 3 adapters for the cummins 4bt/6bt applications in wet and dry configurations.

thats besides the gm and ford automatic/standard adapters everyone is familiar with. my concern would be the little things. if you can fabricate you can make your own adapters.

·
Registered
800 Posts
oops, i dont know anything about the a833. if it has a known bolt pattern to be similar to below, i would think it should work

the cummins/dodge adapters work on the 47rh/re and nv4500/nv5600. i dont know what the new trannys are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure of the bolt pattern on the A833. Its an older tranny used by dodge from the 60s-80s. Hopefully someone knows if it will bolt up or not.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What year truck is the 833 out of and/or do you have the Factory Service Manual from the vehicle the transmission came out of? Also, I am curious what engine that transmission was behind?

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
Info on the 833 can be found here:
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm
I cooked two of the Chevy versions while running them behind a wimpy GM 6.2L diesel in a 1/2 ton 4WD GMC pick up truck that never towed anything or rarely ever hauled much more than groceries home. Both transmissions had the mainshaft bearing go bad. The GM & Chrysler versions use the same internal parts. I would consider one as being marginal at best and don't plan on getting more than 50K miles in a long lasting one. That is how long mine usually lasted running 4:10 gears and no off roading.

·
Banned
427 Posts
you need the manuel trans dodge block plate, flywheel, pressure plate assy. and nv4500 bellhousing if the trans bolt pattern is the same. if its different you can use the stock chrysler aluminum bellhousing or a lakewood blow proof steel bellhsg. i can measure my hemi a833 trans and also my nv4500 bell to see if the bolt pattern is the same for ya if you want me too. the a833 is a truck trans so it will hold up. your is 23 spline input right ?
bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tranny is out of an 81 Dodge truck and originally was behind a slant six. It was rebuilt less then 10,000 miles ago so it should hopefully last a little while.
bcowanwheels- If it isnt too much trouble would you measure your bellhousings?? I would greatly appreciate it.
Hmmm forgot about needing a flywheel, my 4BT currently has an automatic behind it. This is starting to add up....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well I don't see any info in the manuals I have for the bellhousing on that tranny, I thought it was in there in the specs. I have a few FSM's from 1983 to 1990 and that transmission is in every one them, it was used behind the 225,318 and 360 gas engines. It also had several different sized clutch's over the years, to include an 11", a must behind the Cummins I would think. Fully syncronized etc, it certainly is not ideal and I wouldn't tow with it but it might work while you find something more suitable.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The A833 uses a 1" input shaft, usually 23 spline as mentioned. It was/is used behind anything from a slanty to a blown 426 Hemi. They've been used for many years in drag racing in very high horsepower applications. Seems to me it's plenty of trans for a 4BT and I was going to use one in my swap, until I decided I needed overdrive and went with a New Venture box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts