Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i keep seeing various weights anybody know an acurate weight for a complete ready to run manual 6bt with oil and water (ok the water is hard to measure but if you know the capacity its easy)

sorry if this is old news but anybody really know?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
You're not going to get an absolute "it weighs this" due to all the variables involved.

Even the Cummins service manual gives a weight range due to the differences between various CPLs, showing the DRY weight of the 6BT as 855-905 LB. Oh, and that's less flywheel and electrics.

Personally, I'd assume the higher number as a starting point.

Then you can do the math to add on everything else to figure what your "running" weight may be. While some things will be the same from one setup to another, coolant would be a prime example of "it depends", as the radiator you use will have a big influence on how much coolant weight is involved.

And don't forget all the other "weight gain" areas involved with swapping one of these into something that may not have had a 6BT in it before, such as a different transmission, frame modifications, dual batteries, and the like.

·
Administrator
4,163 Posts
Figure on a conservative approximate minimum starting weight of around 1,000 lbs. 900 + 60 for a standard shift flywheel and at least another 50+ for the vacuum pump, power steering pump, starter, alternator, required bracketed supports, oil, clutch assembly, and coolant.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i wasnt bothered about radiator capacity as you say that will varie a lot bewteen type and size. just actual engine capacity and a runnning manual engine. good npoints ref the extra brackets etc to use the motor
why would i need a vacume pump? if its for brakes? i would simply use a common alternator with pump built in theyre very common here.

so if i deduct current engine and parts i would have the ,,extra,, weight and an idea how much would be good to possibly remove e.g batterys in rear of truck ,alloy rad alloy parts where possible maybe a grp hood no inner fenders? anything to get it back down

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I weighed my `92 ve pumped 12v with the 47rh adapter plate , flexplate, starter, vacc/power steering pump, a/c compressor, altenator, hx35 turbo, oil filter full of oil, 12 qts oil in the pan, diaphram lift pump, fuel filter, and crew cab`s motor mounts, no fan or fan clutch. grand total= 980 lbs. weighed at the local certified scale, at american van lines. an engine with a p7100 injection pump will be about 50 pounds more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
why would i need a vacume pump? if its for brakes? i would simply use a common alternator with pump built in theyre very common here.
You would need the vacuum pump to run the brake booster cannister, power brakes being almost a requirement. Granted, you could convert to a hydraboost setup...but...the most common donor source for 6BT's over here is from Dodge pickups, and all those 6BT's are equipped with a multisection ancillary pump asssembly which consists of a vacuum pump section and a power steering pump section. In other words, the vacuum source is possibly already there for your use if you're using a Dodge donor.

If you're using an air-brake truck donor, then by all means use the alternator/vacuum pump piece; they're not all that common here.

Possible weight-saving: use a single battery, rather than dual.

Eddie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts