Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Ford Wonder Bread van today with 60k on a 4bt, but it has manual steering! I am not exactly sure where the pump is supposed to mount. Behind the timing cover I assume. What all is required to install a pump? Different timing covers?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does, but the vehicle the engine is going into has power steering and I'd like to keep it. :D

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I bought a Ford Wonder Bread van today with 60k on a 4bt, but it has manual steering! I am not exactly sure where the pump is supposed to mount. Behind the timing cover I assume. What all is required to install a pump? Different timing covers?
To my knowledge (and I may be wrong here, anyone wanna step in and correct me, please do so..) all of the automotive use engine timing covers have provision for the gear-drive accessories below the Injection Pump. Look below your IP and see if there's not a cover w/ 2 bolts. That's where a gear-drive pump would go. I've also seen where PS pumps are mounted above the IP, attached to the intake manifold (also some AC compressors go there, too).

The easiest to find is likely going to be the vacuum pump / PS Pump combo off a Dodge, but if you look around you may find just the PS pump. The one I have is on a P30, and it's gear driven w/ the two returns for Hydroboost.

Check the General Classifieds here: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6 or maybe post there with a Want To Buy, and you might give flEaBay a try, too.

Also, if you've got a medium / big truck junkyard nearby, I think they had PS pumps on the Freightliner FL-70 (or similar) trucks, and don't overlook buses / other trucks that used the B series Cummins.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The easiest to find will probably be the vacuum pump/PS Pump combo off a Dodge. That's what I did. It's a direct swap. Don't forget the oil pressure line.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is the style you are talking about? I was worried about this style being too long and interfering with the oil fill tube mounted behind that area, but if others have used them, that's good news. The engine currently has a belt driven vacuum pump. I guess I could remove it and use the pulley to run my a/c compressor on the other side.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

This is the style you are talking about? I was worried about this style being too long and interfering with the oil fill tube mounted behind that area, but if others have used them, that's good news. The engine currently has a belt driven vacuum pump. I guess I could remove it and use the pulley to run my a/c compressor on the other side.
I think you may run into interference issues with the side fill, if so equipped. But you should be able to remove it, plug the hole, then use a valve cover with the filler or the front filler tube for the timing cover.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you may run into interference issues with the side fill, if so equipped. But you should be able to remove it, plug the hole, then use a valve cover with the filler or the front filler tube for the timing cover.
No problem there. It already has a fill cap in the valve cover. ;) Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Bingo! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts